Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is H3 treated Pine safe for indoor workbench and table?

Bluetooth_1989
Just Starting Out

Is H3 treated Pine safe for indoor workbench and table?

Hi, I am looking to build a workbench for my garage and also a table to store my 3d printers on in my house. I added everything to my cart but decided to quickly Google before I ordered and people say treated wood is not safe for these applications.

However there appears to be no bunnings in WA that actually sell untreated pine??? Unless I buy expensive DAR. This seems a bit ridiculous to me... local timber companies that do supply untreated want 200 plus delivery fee .. whilst from my local bunnings it will only be 50. 

So either way I'm losing a lot of money just to get untreated or dar pine. Can h3 treated timber bought from bunnings be used for these indoor applications to save me alot of money? I'm looking at 90x45 in lengths of 3.6m incase that matters.

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is h3 treated pine bought here safe for indoor workbench and table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bluetooth_1989. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about timber treatment.

Preferrably it would be best to use H2 timber instead of H3. You can then paint the H2 timber to ensure no constant contact with it. Once painted, even the H3 would be fine for use in, say, a garage, but if it's a bedroom, I'd recommend going for the H2, which has a lesser degree of treatment.

Both the H2 and H3 are not treated with arsenic, so once painted, there is little concern in their use. However, I'd go with the H2 which is designed for indoor use.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects