Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do Grid Connect LED down lights fade on and off?

nmlconsulting
Finding My Feet

Do Grid Connect LED down lights fade on and off?

Hi there, I am just wondering if anybody knows whether the grid connect LED downloads fade on and fade off or whether they are a hard on and hard off. I would like the lights to come on gently, when the motion detector is activated so that for example i dont get stunned at 3am when im going to get a glass of water 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Do grid connect LED down lights fade on and off

Good Afternoon @nmlconsulting 

Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Its a nice place to wander through and look at projects, especially the grid connect ones! lol

I have Grid connect powerboards and Wiz LED lights, I am yet to buy a LED light in the grid connect brand so cant confirm your question.

With the Wiz LED lights I can change their intensity but cant have them slowly come on and then ramp up. I know I can set them to be a particular brightness but thats static.

I know a few of us in here have a lot more experience with grid connect questions so will wait for their input :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nmlconsulting 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fading LED lights.

Thats is a very good question, unfortunately the LED lights I do have in my home all shock me awake. I suppose another alternative would be to reduce the lumens coming out of the downlight so that it is not blindingly bright when it turns on.

I propose having a look at the Arlec 9W 720lm RGB+CCT Grid Connect Smart LED Downlight. It's dimmable so you can control its brightness and you can change the colour temperature to warm white so that it's a soothing light when turned on.    

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Eric

As I mentioned my first priority is to have the lights fade on and fade off by being switch on with a motion detector. 

I think we can isolate the key question by deviding it into components.

Lights - As long as they are dimable, they will be suitable. My understanding is that even if they are smart LED downlights, they cannot be faded on or faded off so my choice of light would be a standard non smart LED downlight.

Motion Detector - No real options here that impact on the objective

Light switch - Now this is where I think it gets interesting. I believe the light switch/dimmer combo is responsible for fading the lights on and off. So this is where Ill look

Hi @nmlconsulting,

To the best of my knowledge, a dimmer switch adjusts the globes' brightness and doesn't have any ability to fade them on or off. Any "fading" that goes on through it would be a manual operation, not an automatic one that ramps up to your desired brightness. I'd need to call on our resident expert @CSParnell, but there might be a rule that can be set in the app for the Arlec 9W 720lm RGB+CCT Grid Connect Smart LED Downlight that states between certain hours, it sets the brightness at a lower level. That still wouldn't get you the fading effect you're after, but it would limit the shock factor.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Do Grid Connect LED down lights fade on and off?

@nmlconsulting unfortunately there is no soft ramping diming with Arlec or Deta Grid Connect lights automatically or via programming. 

I believe this is a feature of Phillips Hue.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects