Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to unscrew a thread aerator adaptor stuck to sink tap?

NinaSD
Finding My Feet

How to unscrew a thread aerator adaptor stuck to sink tap?

Hi,

I removed my sink tap's aerator and put on this BSP thread aerator adapter: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-adaptor-aerator-kit_p4920386

Now I cannot unscrew it. I had screwed it on manually by hand, but it does not unscrew now. Any ideas?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I unscrew a thread aerator adaptor that is stuck to sink tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NinaSD. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a sink tap adaptor.

Which of the three sections are you having difficulty removing? I note that you installed the fittings by hand, but are you also trying to remove them by hand? If so, have you tried using a tool such as multigrip pliers?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell!

I have difficulty removing the 15mm BSP thread aerator adaptor (male to male). I have tried using a long-nose plier, but no luck. The plier moves, but the adapter doesn't rotate either way.

There was a similar post back in 2020, but I'm not sure how that was fixed:  https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Whole-of-House/How-do-I-unscrew-a-stubborn-tap-adaptor-from-...

Thanks,

Nina

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NinaSD 

Thank you for the update. I'm afraid the long nose pliers does not provide an ideal angle to grip the aerator. I suggest going with @MitchellMc's suggestion and using multigrip pliers. These pliers are adjustable and able to grip non-standard items such as aerators and unusual plastic or metal fittings.

If you wish to protect the aerator, I suggest covering it with a soft cotton shirt and then gripping it with the multigrip pliers. Please remember to turn it anti-clockwise to loosen it up and clockwise to tighten it. If you are still having problems with grip, I suggest wrapping the aerator with rubber bands so that the multigrip will not slip. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

It worked with a multigrip plier. Thanks very much @EricL and @MitchellMc :smile: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NinaSD 

That's great news, I suggest brining the old aerator to the store so that you can compare it to the replacement sets available. Please make sure to give the spout threads a good wipe down before you screw the new aerator on.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects