Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I paint over metal window frames?

Deeks66
Getting Established

How do I paint over metal window frames?

IMG_7513.jpeg

I’m looking to paint over the yellow-cream colourec window frames to give a nicer finish and view. I have used rubbing alcohol and a dark cloth and it only polished the frame (a Bunnings worker told me to do that to determine what paint to use). Do I need to sand down the frames? What paint would you recommend? It’s internal and external. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I paint over metal window frames?

Hello @Deeks66 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting over your metal window frames. 

This has been a popular discussion in the community. Just to give you a general idea of the steps involved; the window frame will need to be sanded down. All the sanding dust will need to be wiped off before you put the painter's tape to cover the areas you don't want to get sprayed over. Once the masking tape is on and everything is protected you can spray paint the frame.  

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

Here are some excellent window and door painting projects our Workshop members have shared:

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint window frames

In regards to the type of paint, I suggest using Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey in combination with Dulux 300g Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SJBH
Cultivating a Following

Re: How do I paint over metal window frames?

 Hi Deeks it’s super easy Dulux spray can check out my profile I added instructions to n what we did the longest part is taping up the windows I went a bit overboard just didn’t want paint on my tinted windows good luck show us your pics once you do it :smile:

I added the pic of dulux paint can below you will need a primer too not showing on the pic 

IMG_7497.jpeg

IMG_7496.jpeg

IMG_7495.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects