Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to strengthen weak walls?

steezy
Finding My Feet

How to strengthen weak walls?

I bought an old house and have discovered some weak walls that move when you push on them. 

Is there anything we can do to strengthen the walls without removing or replacing them?

I.e. will skimming help to reinforce the wall? In the UK I have seen wall hardeners/mineralising primers, but I haven't found anything like that available at Bunnings.

Re: How to strengthen weak walls?

Hi @steezy,

Well that's a big relief, and great starting block. Other members have offered some great advice on restraining the existing wall to the frame. Short of ripping the lining off and starting over, that's the best idea. On the other hand, you may like to insulate, in which case removing the lining and reinstalling it, or new lining, will give you complete visibility on what's going on. I removed the masonite lining in my bedroom, installed Earthwool, and put up Gyprock myself. Now I just need my builder to complete the plaster setting and cornices so I can paint and be done.

Cheers,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects