Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore Cypress Pine floorboards?

rochester
Getting Established

How to restore Cypress Pine floorboards?

Hey all,

My house has cypress pine floorboards that have seen better days - Pic attached. The floor itself looks in pretty decent shape, few little fixes here and there.

I was thinking about going for a natural look & was wondering if anyone can help with how I would finish the floors once they're sanded down. Would prefer a matte type finish! Floorboards are different colours at the mo, looks like a wall was demolished at some point and a different type of stain/finish was used.

Also, I live in Darwin, the humidity is quite high, just incase that affects the products used/finishes.

Thanks!

floors.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore Cypress Pine floorboards?

Hi @rochester,

You might like to check out this discussion: How can I fix these orange Cypress Pine floors? @ezzie, after some hiccups, managed to achieve an amazing natural and lighter finish on their Cypress Pine floorboards.

If you are after a natural look, I suggest going with Cabot's 4L Water Based Matt CFP Floor. It won't dramatically change the natural colour of the sanded timber, is non-yellowing and will give that matt finish you're looking for.

I don't have any restrictions on the humidity requirements; it's just that humid conditions will require a longer dry time. It's still likely best to dry applying it on a day when humidity levels are not extreme.

Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to sand timber floors and How to seal timber floors.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ezzie
Growing in Experience

Can I add a tip for @rochester? Cypress, no matter how 'non-yellowing' the finish will eventually darken with an orangey tinge. After all sorts of expensive shenanigans, I discovered THE best additive to combat the cypress orange glow. It's by Loba (not available at Bunnings sorry). You'll have to head to a distributer or one can post it to you. It's a teeny bottle that costs just under $20. You add it to any finish (1 bottle per 5 litres) and it gives a very slight white tinge to the finish. I used two bottles over two coats and wish I'd done three as I was after a real Nordic bleached finish. It's called 'Loba Whitener' and it saved my bacon. Insider tip, you'll get the 'don't mix different manufacturers' but I was recommended this by Loba's competitor who says 'of course we all test each other's products and it will mix with any water-based finish'. It came up a real treat (unlike the sanding, but that's another story!). Previous to this time of sanding/finishing my floors I used Cabots water-based finish and it was fine (except eventually going orangey). This time around I ended up using a VERY expensive professional finish and I have to say, I preferred the Cabot's water-based finish. It was easier to apply, actually feels like the boards are coated and it didn't scratch easily. This very expensive one already has scratches all over it - so much for 'World's toughest finish'. So I think the Cabots with some Loba Whitener (do some test patches on offcuts to get the finish you're after) will give you a finish you'll love and the slight white tinge should offset the cypress for a good while.

rochester
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice Mitchell & Ezzie, much appreciated. I've ordered some of the additive - will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

ezzie
Growing in Experience

Did the additive do the trick @rochester ?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects