Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix draughty front door?

Finding My Feet

How to fix draughty front door?

My front door does not fit tight to the frame therefore allowing a draught to come into the house. The space is around the entire door including the bottom of the door. What can be done to block the draught coming into the house.

Joy 2.jpg

Joy 3.jpg

Joy1.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Draughty Front Door

Hi @1250,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Can I ask that you upload some photos of the door opening so that our helpful members can provide more specific advice on this issue? Please let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

We'll need to see those images to give an informed answer, but I'd suggest that the addition of a door bottom seal and foam door seal around the perimeter of the door would go a long way towards minimising and sealing the gaps.

You might also like to have a read through the following articles for some ideas -

Six Ways to Weatherproof Your Home For Winter

How To Winter-Proof Your Home 

If you have any other questions, please reach out.

Jacob

Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob Thanks for your reply and yes I would need some help uploading some photos of the front door opening plus let me know exactly what you want photos of?? 1250

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @1250,

Depending on whether you are on a computer or smartphone, the image upload button will either appear as an icon of a landscape photo or a camera just above the text box you've used to reply. See the below image taken from my computer where I have circled this icon in red.

I suggest a photo from the outside showing the whole door, a photo from the inside showing the whole door and some images specifically of the gaps around the door. These photos should be adequate for our members to make an assessment.

Let me know if you have any issues and I'll happily help further.

Jacob

Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob

i’m using an iPhone and don’t see that icon from my reply window. Are you using a desktop or other device?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @1250,

On Iphone you have two options. See the below image for reference.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Jacob

Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob

i don’t see any of that on my reply window with iPhone. I have iPhone 11, maybe you have a newer model with more options??

regards

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@1250

Feel free to email photos to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can add them to the discussion for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @1250,

Based on the photos you have sent me; it looks like you already have a weather strip around the frame of your door.

1250 Circled.jpg

Can you advise if you've added this recently or was it existing? If it is not new, can you identify where the wind is getting in?

Adding a draught stopper such as Adoored Fabric Draught Stopper or Sperling Sausage Dog Draught Stopper inside at the base of the wooden door might stop the draught getting through beneath the door.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Finding My Feet

Re: How to fix draughty front door?

Hi @JacobZ,

Yes there is a weather strip around the door and at the bottom of the door, but I still get draught coming through the front door. The existing draught proofing was installed over a year ago, but definitely does not work. 

I need to know how it can be done better and what was not done right that we still get a draught coming through. Very chilly in the cooler months.

Cheers

Joy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects