Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replaster sagging ceiling?

Jeych
Just Starting Out

How to replaster sagging ceiling?

I'm having some.trouble with a ceiling and cornice that are sagging. The cause of the process has now been fixed (leak in the roof) so it shouldn't get any worse.

I'm wondering what could be done to fix it. It'd be great if we didn't need to buy a new cornice price, too.

Appreciate any advice.

1000003169.jpg

1000003171.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to replaster ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jeych. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a sagging and damaged ceiling.

You need to start by assessing the damage and ensuring the structural stability of the plaster. It would also be an idea to install some additional timber in the roof cavity so the sagging section can be fixed to them.

Carefully remove any damaged or loose plaster, then securely reattach the cornice and plasterboard to the installed timbers. This will likely be a two-person job, with one pushing the plaster back up and the other fixing it off.  

Patch any cracks or holes with plaster compound, sanding the surface for a smooth finish. Prime and paint the area to match the room.

Here's a helpful guide: How to repair a water-damaged ceiling.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects