Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Howdy,

I’m just looking at the possibility of replacing some bricks at my mum's house. They sit in a line where a former deck was anchored to the back of the house. As I'm planning on building a new deck, I'm wondering if I should replace these (as I'll eventually be drilling into this area again) or just patch the existing bricks. Would you have any thoughts? Please note, the colour does not matter is the bricks are eventually going to be painted and hidden. 

Thank you,

Sebastian

20240123_180503.jpg20240123_180513.jpg20240123_180521.jpg20240123_180525.jpg20240123_180538.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Should damaged bricks be patched or replaced?

Hello @Sebastian90

Thanks for your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide his thoughts when he's back online later today. 

In the meantime, tagging @Jewelleryrescue@TedBear and @Nailbag in case they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Sebastian90 

The odd damaged brick wont  effect wall strength and can be window dressed repaired as  you wish if not seen.

But if you want  to re attach to the brick work in this area again i would replace the bricks to ensure a  good job at full strength in case you want to anchor in the same area.

To replace the  bricks simply remove the mortar from all the way around the bricks in  question,  To do this you might need is a  concrete masonary bit or and old  twist drill bit long enough to get most of the way into the wall the depth of the brick width, (but small enough to fit in the mortar groove) and simply route out the soft mortar. 

You can use angle grinder too with care then the last brick break/hit the brick with a  hammer it will fall apart. Use any good bricks to replace them with new mortar.

You have three damaged bricks in one area once you have the first one out the  others will be more easy to remove mortar them all in at once.

Hope  this  helps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sebastian90 

Thanks for sharing your question about damaged bricks. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I would definitely not screw back into the bricks that have been drilled already. It's best to patch it and anchor in another section. 

I recommend using Prep 750g Watercrete Multi-Purpose Patching Cement. My best advice is to make sure that the holes are clean and free of loose brick debris.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Sebastian90 

I wouldnt be to worried about replacing the bricks as you are going to be covering them up, you can fill the cracks as @EricL suggested.

The ways of attaching things to concrete and brick has changed over the years. Those ramset fixings have moved on (You can still buy them no problems) However there are masonary anchor screws that will do far less damage to the brickwork (I didnt know about them until a few years ago and now I swear by them.)  masonary anchors  is just a few of the types to give you an idea.

When I was going to fix a stud wall to the concrete floor I was asking a Bunnings staff member about "where is the ramset stuff" lol and he causally asked me "Why are you using that and not the concrete anchor screws"... Well I trusted him and believe me I was nervous about using the anchor screws for both concrete and brick but wow! 

Id check them out if you havnt, well worth a look at.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Sebastian90 , I agree with @Dave-1 & @EricL on this... Replacing  bricks that you are going to cover up could do more harm than good to the wall strength if not done correctly. Getting new mortar into the replaced bricks effectively can be tricky. Leaving them alone, or patched, will let you know which ones to avoid when putting new anchors in & have little effect on the wall.

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your sound advice!

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Much appreciated!

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Thank you!

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Hi again @EricL
Just wondering if you'd recommend the Watercrete over Polyfilla exterior brick and masonry filler ? Also, I've ground down any metal protrusions that I haven't been able to pull out or push into the brickwork, is there anything you'd use to prime with before painting to prevent rust running through the white paint that I'll be using for the bricks?

Thank you!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects