Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove peeling paint and repaint porch ceiling?

laurenmartin
Finding My Feet

How to remove peeling paint and repaint porch ceiling?

IMG_8013.jpeg

IMG_8014.jpeg

IMG_8015.jpeg

  

IMG_8016.jpeg

IMG_8017.jpeg

  

Please help! The ceiling of our landing is staring to look rough. Mostly due to the peeling paint. It looks as though it is being caused by moisture. Unsure of what it is made out of but it looks to be cement? 

How would I remove this and repaint? 

Is it worth just doing the underside or should I do the timber as well? 

All advice welcomed! 

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to remove peeling paint and repaint porch ceiling?

Hi, what year was the house built? This would help determine if it is asbestos or not and how you could go about fixing it.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @laurenmartin 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about peeling paint in your porch ceiling. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Gezza87. It's best to have the ceiling tested for asbestos before you start any repairs. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a trade person check for roof leaks as well. Looking at the pattern of the peeling paint. You can clearly see that the water has gone to the lowest point of your ceiling where the joins occur and then from that point the paint started to peel away from that wet section. 

I suggest having a quick look in the next down pour, you'll probably see a pool of water right below where the paint peeling is occurring. But just to give you an idea of how the repairs can be accomplished, I suggest having a look at these discussions - Bathroom ceiling paint peeling by @gloriavee and Peeling paint from ceiling by @JoshKing. Just keep in mind to use paint rated for outdoor use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your reply Gezza, 1960! 

Thanks so much for your advice @EricL  It does look suspiciously wet up there. We’ve had all sorts of trouble with our roof leaking. We are having this replaced is a few weeks. Then onto the cosmetic repairs! 

Gezza87
Cultivating a Following

Great advice @EricL . @laurenmartin  I would definitely get it tested for asbestos as they were heavily using it in eaves, carports and outdoor ceilings in houses in that era. You do not want to be scraping it or sanding it if it is asbestos.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects