Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How should I fix this weird MDF corner?

krysl3n25
Just Starting Out

How should I fix this weird MDF corner?

We moved into a new home earlier this year and found this weird corner. We have confirmed it is the Aircon duct which was installed after the home was built. The additional panels are wooden (assuming it's mdf panels) and fastened onto the wall but clearly they couldn't be bothered fixing the ceiling crown or skirting. Looks like the floor was also redone after the walls were built. 

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do with this? I was thinking I could attach plasterboard to the mdf wall and then finish it properly with crown and skirting. That way the finish is consistent across all the walls.

I could paint the wood but it's got the screw covers so if I painted it, it would look weird unless I put some wood filler and caulked the side, but again the finish would look probably look bad. Husband has also suggested a feature wall with more wooden beams but I'm worried about the weight. 

Should I get it removed altogether? I'm a bit worried about the weight since we're on the second floor. 

Keen for a (relatively) quick and easy solution as I can imagine once summer comes round it will make it an easy route for pests.

Thank you all. Any ideas are welcome - diy or not, just kind of need to figure out a way forward. 

PXL_20230731_065026394.jpg

PXL_20230731_065015233.jpg

  

PXL_20230731_065001522.MP.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How should I fix this weird MDF corner?

Hello @krysl3n25 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your MDF corner wall.

Looking closely at the photo, I suspect that it might actually be a laminated panel. If you run your hand over the surface, it should feel smooth, much smoother than a painted surface. The ends of the panels will also have a laminated strip glued on to the end, the side ends of it will be very visible. 

If it was an MDF panel, the former owner could have painted over it easily and match wall colour. 

You have a few options available to you. First, you can still paint the wall even if it is a laminated panel. I suggest using Dulux Renovation Range. This is formulated to go over laminated surfaces. To fill up the side gaps, I recommend using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler

Second, you can proceed with your plan of covering the surface with plasterboard and painting over the surface. This will at least give you the same type of surface finish as your current wall. The third option is to remove it and replace it with plywood which you can paint or seal in order to get a nice timber finish.

All three methods can be covered with cornice in order to link up with the existing cornice on your ceiling.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @krysl3n25 

Mind is ticking over whatyou could do. I also am thinking along your husbands idea but less so. 

I was thinking of if it looks like a pillar then its a pillar deal :smile: You could make it look like a 1930's old style pillar using Timber mouldings on the bottom third and maybe a square ring around the top ish? The cornice should be able to be replicated tho I have had fun cutting it at the right angle :smile: Its definently do-abble tho. With your high bedhead it could look very stylish :smile:

The "no more gaps" that @EricL mentions is a winner. I used it making cornice up in my garage for the top of the walls. It hides so much! 

The timber mouldings could be stuck to the surface with liquid nails, you wouldnt have to worry about the screw heads being covered and it would add to the room.

The skirting board can be added to and it really makes a wall come together. If you look at the Garage lining for stud walls, Cornice and skirting boards it shows how I made up a style to fit my needs. You could even go for a picture rail effect on the pillar.

Just looking at the pillar front on and I would try to get a right angle that will cover it. and matches with the rest of the mouldings. 

Sketch up some ideas, it really brings things together in your mind. Im looking forward to seeing your ideas and your solution :smile:

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @krysl3n25 ,

I don't know how you use this room, (it looks like it may be a bedroom), but if space permits along one of the adjoining walls, then I would consider adding some storage and incorporating the a/c duct within that...  i.e. one of the exposed panels would become an end panel of the storage - be it a wardrobe, or a tall bookcase, or a set of shelves to display things, or a shoe holder.

That way the box would appear to be just part of something useful.  You could replace the existing panel with something that matches whatever you'd attach to it. (e.g. if you made a wardrobe or cupboard, you could replace the exposed panel with a fake door.)

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@TedBear Brilliant! :smile:

Totally didnt think of that! :smile: This is why I love this place, so many ideas and ways of doing something :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @krysl3n25 

Having watched too many Hollywood movies I thought of pulling it all down to confirm there is no mummified body encased.

Then see what diameter the conduit is and therefore maybe we can make a smaller enclosure. Also see how well they insulated the entry and exit points.

Glue (or screw) a battened frame to walls, ceiling, floor and use gyprock to cover it with cornice and all the trimmings.

I have an air-conditioning conduit that I made a "fake" corner around and added all sorts of mini-shelves for ornaments and such.

Cheers.

20230809_112723.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects