Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to reduce dust when cutting concrete?

elbow
Growing in Experience

How to reduce dust when cutting concrete?

Hey Guys & Girls

I need to build my sills and architraves for my new double-glazed windows but i need to cut the surrounding concrete lower as per the pic - However, i have a grinder that i can use to cut along the concrete but I'm worried about the amount of dust and was wondering how i can reduce the dust or at least prevent the dust from getting all over the rest of the room. I know i can fit a hoover attachment to the grinder but they're a bit expensive for my current budget at $60-$70. Perhaps plastic sheets from the ceiling down to the floor to create an enclosure around the windows, i dunno. Any suggestions or ideas would be hugely appreciated  🙏

cut this down to lower levelcut this down to lower level

elbow
Growing in Experience

Re: How to reduce dust when cutting concrete?

Hey Dave,

Thanks for coming back. I'm not sure what you mean but possibly you are saying that i keep the concrete and just pad out the lower part to the same height as the concrete, thus forming a sill at a higher level?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @elbow 

Yeah pretty much, I was trying to think around the problem. I was presuming that you want a timber sill for the window and looking at the window/Sill I thought there may be enough space to lift the Sill level with some spacers and then put a flat piece on top and still be under the window.

Dave

elbow
Growing in Experience

the existing concrete is about 5mm below the bottom of the frame when the window opens - i intend to just plaster all around, with no timber anywhere. I do like ur suggestion tho - I could pack the lower level upto the existing higher level and then plaster across possibly - If that is a solution, would i just pack it with plasterboard and glue it in place?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @elbow 

Id always go for a hard surface sill and probarly sides if possible. I lived in one place that had a unfinished timber sill that they put contact over to mnake it look like finished timber.... Pain in the neck making smooth. The hard surface can be painted white but anything that can potentially get water on it and resting on it id go for timber over plaster.

Dave

elbow
Growing in Experience

noted - i dont think they will have anything on them at all. so you think just packing with plaster board and gluing is the way to pack it?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @elbow 

I would use something that wont absorb water such as hardi plank, the window spacers or even a thin strip of timber more so then plasterboard (if it gets wet in any kind of way then it looses its structual strength and the window sill will become "spongy"

These are the spacers Id suggest to use Shims, Wedges & Spacers Just pick the size you will need. I have used 5mm ones for my outside bench without a problem. And they dont soak water :smile:

So packing with shims / hardiplank / timber and glue is a way to go.

Dave

elbow
Growing in Experience

ok thank you again for you help. we don't want to have any timber do perhaps the hardiplank is a good alternative. ill have to have a look into using that as an alternative 🙏

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @elbow 

How about a wide tile instead? Same use of packers underneath or even "mud"

Dave

elbow
Growing in Experience

ah tile wouldn't suit the window/house. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

:smile: @elbow 

Back to thinking some more then!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects