Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-connect multiple Grid-Connect lights to new Wifi?

Peterpop
Just Starting Out

How to re-connect multiple Grid-Connect lights to new Wifi?

Grid Connect Arlec - How to re-connect multiple light to new Wifi router and passowrd rather than one by one

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Grid Connect Arlec - How to re-connect multiple light to new Wifi

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Peterpop. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-connecting Grid Connect lights to a new router.

Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to mass migrate all your lights and connect them to your new router. You'd need to do them one by one, as they have individual addresses that the router needs to accept. However, let me mention our resident Grid Connect expert @CSParnell to see if he could share any nifty tricks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @Peterpop and @MitchellMc 

Unfortunately Mitch is right there isn't a bulk update for devices it has to be done one by one which is painful.

What app are you using ?

Grid Connect, Tuya or Smart Life?

It maybe a good time to research which one you do want to use based on and integrations you may want in the future and switch over since you are resyncing anyways. As long as you don't delete the data of the device the data will come across to any of the apps.

Just getting started with Home Assistant also, Anything you would suggest

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Peterpop,

Let me mention @CSParnell so he is alerted to your question.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Peterpop and @MitchellMc .

With Google Home Assistant it is best to to setup your automations in Grid connect the  assign them to triggers then inside Assistant you can activate those triggers.

Google Assistant is also handy to combine different devices that are not compatible through say grid connect but are within Google Assistant so you can set some automations inside Assistant but don't expect in-depth automations without the Assistant environment.

Let me know if you have any ideas or need help with happy to help.

Hey all,

I just went through this yesterday.

I replaced my NBN modem with a new one and a booster. 

Well, with multiple devices, from different manufacturers, including Grid Connect- lights, security cameras, speakers, media devices and a weather station, I thought the best thing to do was to setup the SSID network name and security the same as the previous one (which I had personalised away from the ISP supplied one).

AFTER a bit of meddling (the new router would not initially accept the old SSID (yes, the old router was unplugged and turned off completely), it finally worked once I got the SSID to take, and I didn't have to go around and reconfigure all of my smart devices.

The ones that caused me issues were my Weather station and ONE of my Swann Security cameras.  A few retries, and a little bit of frustration, and it all works.

The advantage is that by setting up my own SSID and security, I can upgrade or change to any router or modem in the future, even if we move house (Unlikely)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects