Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Attic insulation: Should I remove wooden covers?

TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Attic insulation: Should I remove wooden covers?

We have a fairly old house where the ceilings have wooden covers in the attic (see photo below).

One of my next projects will be to improve attic insulation for the ceilings of our rooms. After watching a fair amount of YouTube videos I am wondering if I should remove all these wooden covers in order to be able to lay proper insulation into the spaces between the beams.

Advice is very welcomed. Thank you.

The aircon installer removed the cover and left it flipped over (on right).The aircon installer removed the cover and left it flipped over (on right).

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attic insulation: Should I remove wooden covers?

Hello @TheHandySqirrel

In theory, those air gaps between the wooden covers and your ceiling are supposed to provide a certain amount of insulation. Unfortunately, I've no data to show how much insulation it provides. If you were to use large ceiling insulation bats that covered the entire surface of the ceiling instead of cutting them into sections the gap would serve as a thermal break. It would disrupt the transfer of heat directly to the ceiling gib.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TheHandySqirrel , like @EricL , I have not come across this setup before, but I imagine that the wooden covers do supply some insulating properties already, just like the outer skin of a wall. It seems to make sense then that you could lay insulation over the top of the covers and would benefit from that extra layer of trapped air, instead of going to the trouble of removing them.

I assume that the covers are there to make it easier and safer to walk in the ceiling space??

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @TheHandySqirrel,

It's been some time since I've seen them sorts of insulation, they are rated at R 0.9

Personally, what I would do, is leave them where they are, they are not hurting anyone.

And please do not step on them at all, unless you want to end up in the room below, all of a sudden.

I think the best thing you could do, if you were going to upgrade your insulation, is to lay some sort of Batt type insulation over

the top of this arrangement.

It doesn't need to be Fibreglass, there are some really good wool-based and other "green" products that are even better than fibreglass, do your homework before buying enough insulation to fill out a whole roof space, it is just that fibreglass is the one that is specified when contractors do this work.

The only caveat I add to this, is if you have the older type down-lights in your ceiling that vent into the roof space, don't ever cover them up.

The temperature rise if these are covered up can cause a roof/house fire.

If you require further advice, by all means let me know in a post below.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi @MikeTNZ

thank you for your advice. That makes sense to me. Here's my current plan for the attic project:

1. Survey attic to get measurements 

2. Clean up dirt and other junk

3. Install permanent lighting

4. Install attic ladder

5. Replace downlights

6. Seal holes and cracks

7. Research and install insulation batts

Do you have advice on item 5, replacing downlights? I'm thinking of removing them altogether, but leaving a cable into the room below that ends in a box so I am able to install future lighting if required (which will then hang off a hook screwed into a joist).

I'm also not clear on the best type of insulation to use. There's rock wool, stone wool, mineral wool and then fibre glass. Do you have a sense of which one is suitable for the Sydney region? Thank you!

Hi @TheHandySqirrel,

You could consider removing the coverings, cutting up and adding Bastion 1200 x 600 x 50mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board and replacing the covers. Cost-wise it might be more budget-friendly to use Earthwool insulation, though the foam would be a neat solution.

Earthwool, rock wool, stone wool and mineral wool are all the same type of insulation. It involves heating natural rock to melting temperatures and then spinning the molten material into fibres. Fibreglass batts are made similarly but use glass as the base material. In my experience, I've found Earthwwol batts easier to work with and significantly less itchy, as I don't tend to get the same glass fibres embedded in my skin. You should still wear a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and appropriate PPE. 

All of the above insulations are suitable for Sydney. It comes down to the R-value of those products and the amount of insulation you require. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation will be.

Hopefully, @MikeTNZ can offer their opinion on the light situation. I'd be inclined to think it would be best to leave the current lights in situ until you've purchased the new ones. That way, you can organise one visit from the electrician instead of multiple to disconnect and reconnect.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Thank you @MitchellMc for your valuable points. I will give it some more thought.

Hi  @TheHandySqirrel 

As you live in the sydney region I installed Cellulose insulation ( treated  paper) as a  Viable option.

24 years later never looked  back.

had an central  roof air con leak the gyprock  sagged and it all fell in simply   swept up paper and into garbage bag and redistributed into roof once repaired and dried.

No mice (borax treated)

totally fire proof ie mine i  burn with a blow torch in my hand and it glows but the second the flame removed it  snuffs out completly with in  1second.

R rating 3 to 3.5 in a typical house  cheaper recycled material. (Thickness dependant)

It compacts around  rafters and all cavities fully (its blown in)

Safe around power and any electrical hot spots wont combust ( ie 50 w halegen globes get very hot)

It is raked and level in roof then sprayed with water  which hardens the paper into a crust so no paper blown around.

Well  cheaper than wool and not  itchy like fiberglass,

Hi @MitchellMc,

I have two more questions as I'm preparing this project.

1) Some websites recommend two layers of half the final R-value laid perpendicular to each other. This sounds good, but would add about 50% to the cost of the insulation. Is this warranted, i.e. do I get a much better insulation result than with just one full R-value layer?

2) My joists are only 100mm high, but R4 insulation is about twice as much. What is the best technique to raise the joists in the area where I want to build a catwalk for attic access? I'm assuming I put pieces of 100x50 on top of the joists, but I'm unsure how to connect the two in a stable way.

Thank you so much!

Hi @TheHandySqirrel,

Since you're installing insulation thicker than the joist's depth, where the insulation protrudes above the joist, it might not sandwich against the next batt. If the batts don't squeeze together at the top, you will lose within the vicinity of 1.0 R-value. A way to get around this would be to cut thin slices of insulation and sandwich them into the void. Please see the image I've created below. 

Halving the thickness of the batt and laying the second layer perpendicular to the first would be an effective way not to have to deal with the gaps between the batts. However, I see no R-value benefit to laying half your insulation in the opposite direction.

For the catwalk, I'd suggest placing 90 x 45mm framing timber on top of the existing timber and connecting them with Pryda connectors. There's a connector or nailing plate to suit just about every connection you can think of. You can use a connector plate or nail plate to fix the two timber's side faces together. The 10mm of batt compression is negligible.

I just wanted to remind you to be very careful working in the ceiling space and only walk on solid timber members. If you can squeeze a couple of timber boards up into the roof to work off, that would be best. That way, you can at least scootch your platform along and kneel on it instead of trying to balance on the beams.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Batt.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects