Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare subfloor for hybrid flooring?

metamorphosis56
Finding My Feet

How to prepare subfloor for hybrid flooring?

Hi everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post! We will be laying 7mm hybrid flooring throughout the house. 2/3 of it will be over tiles, the other 1/3 will be concrete. To get the concrete floor level with the tiles, we’ve decided to put down 9mm plywood over the concrete. 

The manufacturer’s guide suggested that we lay builders plastic over the tiles before laying the hybrid floors over it. This will help the floors to float more smoothly. The guide also said to lay the plastic over the plywood too, to prevent the hybrid from snagging against the corners of the plywood if they eventually start to stick up. 

my question is, would I need to also put builders plastic over the concrete before laying the plywood to use as a moisture barrier? Then more plastic over the plywood and then lay the floors? Any advice would be really appreciated! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to prepare subfloor for hybrid flooring?

Hi @metamorphosis56,

It's great to have you join us. Welcome to the community.

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform your floor.

I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to assist you as soon as possible. In the meantime, let me tag some other helpful members who have installed hybrid floors for their thoughts: @WoodenGregsWood@diy_hausdesigns@barydos@mich1972 and @RAW.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @metamorphosis56 

Thanks for sharing your question about your hybrid flooring. 

Putting builder's plastic on the concrete floor will definitely be a plus as it will serve as a moisture barrier. I don't see any hindrance or negative effects by doing this. Once the plywood is in place, just follow the manufacturers advice and place builder's plastic over it before you lay your hybrid flooring down.

My best advice is to bring the flooring into the room so that it acclimates to the temperature of the room.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric for the reply. You are right, it wouldn’t hurt to put it twice!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects