Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these spring type closures for my (other) ceiling access door?

Coolaholigah
Cultivating a Following

What are these spring type closures for my (other) ceiling access door?

Sorry this is a second access door in the same ceiling. It has been substantially water damaged unfortunately but I hope I have addressed the leak.

the closure mechanism would not ‘spring’ so I put some WD40 on it but now they won’t close so the door won’t stay back in the ceiling. Again as the ceiling space is very crowded it is a major undertaking to replace the whole unit. Can I make these things work again? One is quite loose/nearly off. I might be able to remove them and use an adhesive to replace them if I can find something the same. The existing ones should clip into a clip which is on the edge of the opening. Appreciate any suggestions you may have thanksIMG_5930.jpegIMG_5928.jpegIMG_5929.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these spring type closures for my (other) ceiling access door?

Hi @Coolaholigah 

This is a classical push to open latch sometimes referred to as a spring catch or pressure latch. If you push the latch down it should lock back into place. But if it does not then the plastic locking mechanism has deteriorated, and the latch needs to be replaced.

But if the latch still works, there are two plastic catches at the top that the the tiny rollers sit into. Thye must be pushed at the same time so that door locks properly. If one of them is pushed in too late the door will not lock in properly. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.     

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects