Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove bottom plate for hallway?

samh25
Getting Established

How to remove bottom plate for hallway?

Am wanting to cut out this bottom plate to extend hallway. But if I do so, the stud will only be sitting on 35mm of the remaining plate. Is this OK? Would I use strap nails to secure the stud to the small bit of remaining plate? And also the remaining bottom plate to the perpendicular bottom plate? 

Appreciate your help!

IMG-20240407-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240407-WA0005.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove bottom plate for hallway?

Sorry for the delay @samh25. One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will get back to you as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, let me tag some other helpful members such as @Nailbag and @TedBear for their thoughts.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing bottom plate for hallway

Hello @samh25 

My apologies for the late reply. If the panels going around the stud frame are screwed or nailed into the studs, then there should be no issue with cutting the bottom plate. In some assemblies the bottom plate is used as a temporary brace to hold the frame square. But once the frame is anchored to the surrounding stud wall then it will be ok to remove.

However, if the little piece of timber slides out, I suggest keeping it place by using Selleys 350g Liquid Nails Heavy Duty and driving a couple of nails into it going towards the stud. 

I suggest using a Multitool or a Hand Saw to cut the bottom plate.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
samh25
Getting Established

Champion! Thanks for your help, Eric

Hi @samh25 If using a mutlitiool, make sure its a "multilateral blade" which is design to cut both wood and the nails.brads securing the the bottom plate to each end of the bottom of the door jamb.

regards, Nailbag

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects