Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick?

SensibleHill
Building a Reputation

How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick?

Hi folks! 

The weekend DIY renovation of our 80s fixer-upper is now three months in and still very much a building site but we’re almost at the point we can start rebuilding and putting our mark on the place! 

There’s two walls where I’d like to install VJ Panels, but I’ve had no luck finding videos or guidance on how do this on brick walls that are rendered and finished with white set plaster - the standard walls in Perth but not the rest of Australia.  Aussie videos focus seem to focus on timber frame homes and suggest finding studs, using stud glue and mounting directly onto the wall. A few international videos talk about installing panels onto brick by first placing a timber frame behind, but that doesn’t address what to do when there’s plaster and cornice. 

My walls are currently stripped back to plaster and getting patched, but still pretty bumpy so I’ll be delicately skim plastering most walls with Gyprock Top Coat, after which I have to wait 4 weeks to dry before painting.

I’m wondering if it’d be more cost and time effective to prime then install the VJ rather than skim-plaster to neaten, then wall prime, paint, then VJ then paint again. Has anyone here been faced with this choice? Note too this has one of the most damaged plaster corners in the house and I’m honestly hoping to avoid fixing that! :laugh: See the photos below of the wall - now with paint removed, and you can see its position as the main view from the kitchen as you look down the hallway to the bedrooms. 

F73B5D84-BC99-4108-BAEB-C0EA28E8F89B.jpegD8ADB3CF-BC5D-42F9-B68E-30CC8BCA6C01.jpeg

I’m then not sure exactly how to install the panels onto the plaster - if I need to install a wood frame to mount it on first, how do I deal with the panels sticking out from the cornice? Ideally, I don’t want to remove then re-install the cornices.

Many thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install VJ Panels on rendered and plastered brick

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JennyB1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about finishing VJ panelling on an external corner.

You might like to have a read through of this Best Advice article: How do you install VJ panels around a corner? Basically you can either use a moulding or butt join or mitre the sheets and use filler to blend the corner and create a seamless finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects