Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix sliding door that is hard to slide open?

rw
Getting Established

How to fix sliding door that is hard to slide open?

A couple of years ago I have replaced the roller carriages for my glass sliding door with a pair of RollTrack rollers like the ones in the photo below. Today, the door has slowly gone back to being hard to slide open exactly as it used to be two years ago. When I have replaced the rollers, I levelled the rollers' height to the best I could do (hardly any gap between top and botttom less than 3mm).  I am also having the same problem with sliding window rollers replaced with RollTrack ones around the same time.

Now, I don't suppose rollers needs replacing every couple of years, so I appreciate any pointers on what I could be missing ,  or recommendations for different brand rollers. 

1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding door is hard to slide open

Hi @rw,

Provided the rollers are the correct style and have an adequate weight rating for the doors and windows, then I'd be looking elsewhere for reasons as to their failure. You should get a good ten years plus out of them at a minimum. Have you inspected the roller to see what type of damage they've sustained? That could be an indicator of what is going wrong.

What's the condition of the track like? Is it smooth with no damage to it?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rw
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, I see you have raised a good point RE weight rating. The thing is when I bought the rollers they were the only ones available at my local Bunnings store that suits my door - there wasn't much ratings to choose from 😁.

The door is about 1x1.8m glass door. And it is very heavy to lift ...

I couldn't see visible damage to the track or the rollers except looking worn out.

Please see the photos and let me know what you think.

IMG_20240217_190739.jpg

IMG_20240217_190658.jpg

  

wooshka
Making a Splash

Hi @rw , just wandering if the roller surface is worn down or they are simply hard hard to open and close 

the difference is that in some circumstances the rollers can cop a fair amount of weather on them and the bearings fail from the elements.

i just did mine last weekend i lifted the door out and relubricated the rollers on the glass door 

i replaced the ones on the security as they were damaged by the rain.

I have also found there is differant quality grades in these rollers as well, esp with the weight of the door

Just remember they are a moving part and need some servicing same as the engine in your car

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rw,

I presume the weight rating for them is fine. Typically the size and style puts you in the right ballpark.

I just wanted to check. Could you please verify that the rollers are still on the track? They can occasionally pop off the track, and you will still be able to slide the door, but it becomes much more difficult.

As @wooshka mentioned, it could be a good idea to inspect the roller to see whether they simply need to be re-lubed.

Mitchell

rw
Getting Established

Thanks @wooshka, what part exactly to lubricate? The axle isn't easily accessible, it's hidden inside the carriage assembly ? (and which lubricant shall I use ? Silicone spray, grease, etc...) and won't the lubricant itself attract dirt and cause the rollers to become stiff faster?

I will take the door off to check for caught lint etc, but that door is damn heavy to lift 😁 so I will leave that last untill I put everything together 

@MitchellMc Thanks for the suggestion, it's definitely on track. The door isn't really stuck, it does move, but as I said it's gradually getting harder and harder and the rollers are only a few years old.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix sliding door that is hard to slide open?

Be very careful if you do remove the door @rw as any knocks to the glass can cause it to shatter. Please ensure you have assistance and are both wearing cut-resistant safety gloves, protective eyewear, long-sleeved shirts and trousers and enclosed footwear.

I'd like to touch on your previous comment: I levelled the rollers' height to the best I could do" hardly any gap between top and bottom less than 3mm". I'm just wondering whether the door has been elevated enough to clear the bottom track. Potentially, the roller has worn slightly, and the door has now contacted the lower track, making it hard to open. Is the door currently elevated to the highest position prior to making contact with the top track? Have someone lift one side of the door until it is hard against the top track. Adjust the screw to set the roller at that new height. Then, do the same with the other side. On such a heavy door it's important that someone lift the door before setting the roller height.

Mitchell

wooshka
Making a Splash

HI @rw as @MitchellMc said these doors are very heavy to lift out , when i was younger i didnt give it  second thought but now i need help to rotate the door to access the rollers once the door is lifted out.

I use a product called called curtain track lube, you apply it into the axles once you have the door lying on its side, it is made for the rollers on the curtains on the sides of trucks, the lubricant has ptfe in it, it tracks into the bearings then drys so dirt wont stick to it 

it will also wash any dirt out at the same time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects