Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix scratches on timber chairs?

rw
Getting Established

How to fix scratches on timber chairs?

IMG_20231126_204342.jpg

I have a couple of kitchen chairs with scratches as shown in the picture. I wonder if applying stain on the chair as it is (and what colour is closest) will help remove these scratches.  Have seen the crayons on the website but not sure which solution is best. The scratches have no depth but they look terrible.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to fix scratches on timber chairs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @rw. We trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members as you browse and contribute to the community.

Thanks for your question. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to provide some suggestions on how to fix those scratches when he's back online later today. In the meantime, let me tag @Dave-1@Nham and @Renowayoflife to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @rw 

Ahhh the dreaded scratches from a little too much love :smile:

Applying stain overthe top will probarly accentuate the markings I think. Id possible try and polish the timber with the same type of colouring wax

waxstix I havnt used it but this is what I will be heading towards when I get around tro repairing/hiding fourlegged scratches on my timber floors :smile: I have been watching the timber repair videos and think this would be the less intensive repair to start with.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rw 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing the scratches on your timber chair. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend having a look at the Cabot's 10ml Touch Up Stain Pen. They come in a variety of colours and one of them might match your chair stain.

I'm in agreement with Dave-1 and that staining the scratches will make it stand out even more. When the time comes, I suggest thinking about sanding down the chairs to timber and applying a new stain and varnish to give them a fresh new look.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

rw
Getting Established

Just wanted to share the coloured wax sticks did not work for me . It just wouldn't stick to the surface by either rubbing against the wood , or melting hot drops on the wood (it will come off as I rub it to smooth) .

So I guess sanding is the way to go

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rw 

I'm sorry to hear that the wax sticks did cover the scratches on your chair. If you are planning on recoating the chairs, I suggest investing in an electric sander to cut the sanding time in half.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects