Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert sliding door to entry door?

esuijm
Just Starting Out

How to convert sliding door to entry door?

20231106_213452.jpg

I have an aluminium sliding double door bolted to a brick house frame. The opening is 1.8m wide and 2m height.

I would like to change it to an entry door with the 1m wide door, and 2 x side windows 400mm or 200mm and close the rest with plaster. 

I never done door framing. Is there any advice what does it take to build one ? Also the doors and the rest of fittings.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Sliding Door to Entry Door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @esuijm. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a doorway.

Depending on your level of D.I.Y. ability, it's entirely possible. However, if you haven't done much framing work, then this could be a rather ambitious project. Typically, most people might decide to frame out the opening to an appropriate size and then install a pre-fabricated door and window set. It's one thing to adjust the size of an opening with framing timber, but an entirely different one to scratch build the entire lot. It would be difficult to find a tradesperson to do a scratch build; they'll just want to install a pre-fabricated assembly. Obviously, there is less choice in the dimensions of windows, etc, but it's far easier to install.

I'd suggest the best place to start is by working out where you are getting the windows from and what their dimensions are. You'll then be able to work out your stud placement and draw sketches of how you'll build this entrance.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for advice. 

The opening is 1 800 mm: 

1. 1000 - door 

2. 2 x 400mm - side windows. 

Could you advise on the door jamb, door and door fittings. 

How to install door fittings ? 

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @esuijm 

If the prospect of building the door from scratch is daunting. I suggest having a look at the Hume Entrance Door Sets. Your idea is definitely possible, if the opening is 1800mm you can have a door at 1000mm and two sidelite panels at 400mm on each side. The doors can be custom ordered to the size that you want, but I suggest speaking to your store's special orders desk in order to get a quote.

Installation would be relatively manageable as you no longer have to build everything from scratch. It would also make it easier to install if the door set is made to fit the existing door frame that's already in place.

Please note that working with glass is dangerous and if handled incorrectly could cause it to shatter especially if the glass is not made of safety glass. I therefore suggest engaging the services of an aluminium fabricator to disassemble your aluminium door when the time comes.

I've placed a sample of the Hume Newington Door set to give you an idea of what it looks like along with the sidelites. 

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects