Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix drainage issues under house?

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

How to fix drainage issues under house?

PXL_20230610_055136425.MP~2.jpg

This is under my house. When it rains water will flow from the outside into that corner and seep to the other side of the wall. Should I install a Stormwater Pit Case in the marked location? Or install a Grate And Channel from very beginning? 

This is the under my house and I'm not sure is the ground a part of the foundation and can be cut?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Drainage Issues

Hi @etmomoabc,

It's always best to prevent the water from entering under your house in the first place rather than try to collect it and divert it elsewhere once it's already passed the wall. What's the exterior of this wall like, and can you install drainage there instead?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

https://youtu.be/V6_97uqIWyA 

This short video explains the environment and Condition. Rainwater flows from the entrance to that corner and permeates the other side of the wall

So this area is elevated above the other side of the wall @etmomoabc? That would indicate that the water is entering the wall from the raised patio above the garage and this wall. It would be best to check out that area's waterproofing and see if there is a crack above this wall. Head up to the patio where you have the outdoor furniture and check for cracks in the corner near this wall.

Mitchell

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

PXL_20230611_070055064.MP.jpg

 The opposite corners have been sealed with silicone. Surroundings are dry to the touch, free of moss. It appears that the water is coming in from the entrance at the bottom location.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @etmomoabc 

Thank you very much for sharing that video of your house. Water will often travel to the lowest point on any given surface. Somewhere along your wall or driveway water is travelling along and finding a way to that corner of your house. I suggest clearing the area out and conducting an investigation. use your garden hose to simulate rain hitting the outside wall and see if it travels and pools into that corner of your house.

I recommend trying several locations around the area so that you can discover where exactly the water is finding its way into your home. Once you find that entrance into the area, it's all a matter of sealing or blocking that entrance so that any water that hits that spot gets diverted out and away from your home.

When you locate the entry point, please make sure to post a picture so that our members can make recommendations on how to close off the leak.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

etmomoabc
Growing in Experience

It rained heavily last night. I saw where the water was going. I think I know what to do. Use Stormwater Pit and Channel to replace old spoon drain. Extended drain.https://youtube.com/shorts/V2Lr3jcURWY?feature=share4 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @etmomoabc 

I'm glad you found the source of the water coming into your house. Looking at the video you posted, it seems that the spoon drain is not doing its job and has ended in a route that leads to nowhere and takes a sudden left into your house. 

My only reminder is to make sure that your exit pipe has the proper fall going out to the street or waste pipe. 

Please note it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects