Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which drill?

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Which drill?

I looked far and wide for the best drill to buy but I'm stuck!  So reaching out to the DIY community is the logical step to take, right?!

While cordless products are handy, I'm definitely looking for a corded drill.  I'm in a rental property so doubt if I'll ever need to drill concrete.  So I think a good reversible driver drill for timber is for me!  I need durable, not too heavy, and the light (have lots of love for that addition!)!

I've done lots of research, but I'm more confused than ever!  I'm happy to pay for good lifetime endurance and high  quality.  So please share your thoughts! 

Thanks all!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which drill?

Hi again @Tyro,

I imagine the first thing our community members will ask is: what kind of projects are you planning? That will really help us to give you more specific advice. 

I would recommend this article to start with: How to choose the right drill for the job by @MitchellMc. There's also great advice from our community members in How do you choose a cordless drill? and Do you prefer battery or cordless tools?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi Jason!

Thank you for the links to the articles.  They were very helpful - but I'm more confused now!  My little coutyard is where I will do the work and has easy access to a powerpoint.  My diy jobs will be mainly making plant stands, indoor furniture, including a desk and some chairs for tall people!.  As I was researching drills, I made some notes on what I'd like the drill to have:

•  corded drill

•  reversible

•  conventional drill chuck

•  keyed chuck

•  10 - 13mm diameter chuck

•  chuck that disengages

•  brushless

•  the wonderful light to help me find the spot!

I like the vesatility of the combination drill, but are  they suitable for screwing chair legs to the seat frame?

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Tyro

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tyro 

I can see that you've chosen to go for a corded drill in your list of requirements. In this particular instance, I recommend that you visit the tool shop in your local store. From there you can feel the heft and weight of a corded tool versus a battery powered drill. You've also mentioned that you'll be using the drill for furniture work and building plant stands. If you are not drilling into hardened concrete or high tensile steel a battery powered drill will be sufficient for your needs. 

Just to give you an example, if you were trying to drill a screw into the bottom of a timber chair and you had to hold the leg. It would be difficult to do this with a corded drill single handed as it is heavy. But using a battery powered drill will make this task much more achievable.

The other features you've listed are all present on a battery powered drill. Don't let the small size fool you, these drills have a lot of power behind them and can drill through steel and masonry with the right bit.

If you see a drill that you like and you have questions about it, please let us know. We'll more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @Tyro,

I trust you found Eric's reply helpful. 

Did you have a budget in mind and do you have any other battery-powered tools?  Those factors might significantly affect your decision. 

Let me tag some helpful members to share their advice on what drill they would recommend: 

@TedBear@Dave-1@marliemakesit@JoeAzza.     

Jason

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thank you for your advice Eric.  Your suggestion to try them in-store is great.  I'm unable to see any corded drills on the Bunnings website though. I'll double check next time I'm there.

I've used battery powered tools before and I find the whole battery thing too frustrating!  If there are power points near by, the cost of buying replacement batteries and rechargers makes the drill too expensive.  And temembering to recharge before starting the project?  A lovely  concept! 😂😂

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thank you Jason!  I'm a great fan of learning from the experiences of others!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Which drill?

Good Morning @Tyro 

My all to go around drill is a Makita 13mm hammer drill

The first one I bought stood me in good steed for 31 years. then finally the hammer side died so I replaced it with this one.

I also have a Ozito battery powered drill 18V and it rocks. 

I have used both of these in building my privacy screen project and they work extremely well. The powered makita dosnt have a light tho :smile: With not wanting a hammer drill use, well you never need it until you need it is a good way to look at it. Id def buy a drill that does both for any future use.

Dave

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thank you so much Dave-1! 👏

While I would love to fix  plant trellises to the brick walls on the the house, I'm in a rental property so ... 😪 (and the owner happens to live next door! 😖

Still, I do agree in being prepared so will look at the combo drills.

I'm heading towards a driver drill though ... I just have to find a corded one!  They all seem to be battery operated, which I am not in the market for.  They might be lighter, but I prefer the beneficial environmental and  economical sides of corded tools.

Cheers

Tyro 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Tyro 

"Thank you Jason! I'm a great fan of learning from the experiences of others!"

Like yourself, I resisted any urge to buy battery powered tools.

But, when we decided to install our kitchen - all the people involved highly recommended an impact driver.

We bought a cheap Stanley set and that was about eight years ago.

Still going strong. Same batteries. The impact driver is the best tool I have ever owned.

I'm sure there are even better deals out there now, with better batteries and more power.

20230609_095408.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects