Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill holes in metal door frame?

Edgar
Growing in Experience

How to fill holes in metal door frame?

All the door frames in our 1960's apartment are metal. I recently removed some shelving which was anchored on to one of these door frames and it obviously left holes. What should I use to fill these?  Thank you :smile: Door Frame.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill holes in metal door frame?

Hi @Edgar,

Sorry for the slow reply. Let me tag resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL as well as some other helpful community members such as @JacobZ95 and @TedBear to see how they would tackle the repair.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Edgar 

That looks messy to deal with.

I would do a multi stage repair...  Scape/sand the paint back to  where the steel is. Fill between the wall and lower surface of the steel frame with mortar or a firm surface filler, then when it's dry and firm, fill the missing steel surface with Plastibond, which will give a smooth surface that will blend in with the steel. That way when you paint over it you won't see the fill. (You could fill it all with Plastibond, but it is relatively expensive and sets quickly, so can be hard to work with in large areas or quantities. If it's smaller than it appears you do that, but be prepared to fill it in layers.) 

@https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-plastibond-150g-heavy-duty-bog_p121032

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Filling Metal Door Frame

Hello @Edgar 

It's great that you've received detailed advice from @TedBear. I totally agree with the suggestions made and recommend following the steps he's advised. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Edgar
Growing in Experience

Thank you very much. The photo is a little deceptive. There are three holes, each damage area is no more than the size of a 20c piece. Therefore, would just using plastibond be ok? I have never used it before and assume you mix up the entire packet and need to use it all in one go?

Thanks again. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Edgar 

"I have never used it before and assume you mix up the entire packet and need to use it all in one go?"

The Bog I use is tinned - use as much as you need and then reseal - lasts quite a while. The ratio of Bog to hardener is something like sixty to one so that small tube lasts the tin. For your small areas very little would be needed.

Show us the finished photo when your done. 👍

20240330_082627.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Edgar,

As @Noyade mentioned, these two-part fillers, like Plasibond or Builder's Bog, are mixed up as needed are should be suitable for your repair.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects