Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to render an external brick wall?

Honest52
Cultivating a Following

How to render an external brick wall?

How to do rendering of external brick wall of a house?  What types of material to buy? How to calculate the amount of material? What's common errors of rendering that cracks quickly? I intend to buy material and hire good people to do the labour work. 

Should the electrical wirings, or conduit pipe to be dismantle from external wall before rendering?  There are down pipes, plumbing, and electrical wire on the external wall before rendering.20230523_125015.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to render an external brick wall?

Hello @Honest52 

Thanks for sharing your question about rendering. I propose having a look at Rockcote 20kg Grey Quick Render. It is suitable for application over properly prepared substrates such as brick, block, concrete, AAC blocks and panels, tilt up and off form concrete.

A single bag is rated to cover 2 square meters at 4-millimetre thickness. My best advice is to mix the render to the consistency of toothpaste. If it is too slurry, it will not adhere properly to the wall. 

Here is a link to the technical data sheet of Rockcote: Rockcote QRender  

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

In regards to the downpipe and electrical services, I suggest doing these areas last so that when they are disconnected the disturbance to the services will be short. Just a friendly reminder to use a registered electrician when doing any electrical work to your home. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Honest52
Cultivating a Following

20240325_170938.jpg

 thanks. Cement Rendering over the brick wall and wait for the top coat to be done  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's looking great, @Honest52! Well done.

Many thanks for sharing your update, and we can't wait to see the finished project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects