Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What smart Wi-Fi door lock is best?

Your_Own_Way
Just Starting Out

What smart Wi-Fi door lock is best?

Hi there,

I have reviewed the advice on the smart door locks and I'm torn between the options. Yale and Lockly. 

What would be the best option for a home that is used as an air bnb, and also needs to be locked from the inside aswell for children. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What smart Wi-Fi door lock is best?

Hi @Your_Own_Way,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and apologies for the slow reply. Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL to assist you as soon as possible. Other helpful members like @diy_hausdesigns and @CSParnell might also like to share their thoughts.

When you mentioned you have reviewed the advice we've shared, I assume you have read our Best Advice article What keyless locks would you recommend? I would also encourage you to check out Smart front door lock installation by experienced member @Nham. We also had a question just last week - How to change existing door lock with smart lock? that you might find helpful.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Your_Own_Way 

The Lockly Satin Nickel Secure Plus Smart Lock Latch With Smart Keypad Bluetooth And 3D Fingerprint and the Yale Assure Keyed Matt Black with Yale Home Apple HK YRD226HKMBK are good examples of digital door locks that are suitable for air-bnb businesses.

They share a great deal of similar features including WiFi connectivity, app control and air-bnb app compatibility along with integration into existing security systems. The Yale lock is a straightforward locking mechanism that can be opened by keypad, manual key lock and an auto unlock feature as you approach the door. 

However, the Lockly has physical features that make it more advanced. It has a fingerprint reader; It has a rotating PIN entry system and comes with its own secure link WiFi hub which you don't have to purchase separately. Plus, it has a manual key lock as well. 

I believe the main feature that is most important for both units is the ability to provide a time limited access code to the customer. Please note that the Yale set I've used as an example is a dead bolt and the Lockly uses a standard door latch system.

Overall, I believe the extra accessibility and security features of the Lockly make it stand out between the two. However, I encourage you to do your own research as well and see which digital door lock fits your needs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

The one I've seen in action that looked very smart and sturdy was the Samsung. 

I looked at the cheaper options at one stage but I decided not to bother due to the connection issues and the network backbone they ran on.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects