Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure aluminium flyscreen sits flat on frame?

Martin4
Finding My Feet

How to ensure aluminium flyscreen sits flat on frame?

I’ve just made a wooden frame for a new flyscreen I’m making. However I’m having real trouble getting the aluminium fly screening to sit flat on the frame.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: aluminium flyscreen stretching it onto frame

Hello @Martin4 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about stretching aluminium fly screen on a timber frame.

Have you tried to use Craftright 300mm 2 Piece Quick Action Clamp and Craftright Assorted Nylon Spring Clamp - 16 Pack. These will keep the fly screen anchored onto your timber frame. What will you be using to keep the flyscreen in place?

Will you be using staples, or did you create a channel in the timber frame so that you can use flyscreen spline?

Can you please provide us with a little bit more information about your project? How big is the timber frame? Is it for a door or a window? Anything else you can tell us would be much appreciated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thankyou for your reply. Yes I’m using staples. 
It is for a large window 1500w and 1000high. I’ll be using a 1/2 spherical beading 10mm to cover the edges

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Martin4,

It sounds like a similar issue to what I had the other week when stretching canvas on frames I'd built. Could you share an image of the frame and flyscreen currently so our members can see what you're working with? Let me know if you need a hand uploading images. 

I'd recommend watching videos on how to install canvas on frames. They'll typically stretch it in a pattern to ensure there are no ripples. I've created an image below to illustrate one method. If you just try to fix it at random locations around the frame, you'll get a very inconsistent and distorted finish. If you follow the diagram and ensure the flyscreen is pulled taught but not overly tight before attaching following the numbers, by the end you'll end up with a very taught screen.

Please let me know how you go.

Mitchell

IMG_1287.jpeg

 thanks. This is my project and I’ll give your suggestion a go. Cheers 

Just tried it your approach but simply won’t work. Any other ideas?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Could you please provide a few more details on the exact difficulties you are having @Martin4? Perhaps that would allow our members to provide relevant solutions. 

I note that you are having trouble getting the fly screen to sit flat on the frame. Are you able to capture that with an image?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects