Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control speed on Ryobi door closer?

kimmmurray2381
Just Starting Out

How to control speed on Ryobi door closer?

Hi 

I am having difficulty adjusting the ryobi series 1200 door closer. I can adjust the closing speed, but the last part slams shut no matter what adjustment I make. Do you have any suggestions? Could it be that I need a smaller, less powerful door closer?

Thanks

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Ryobi Door Closer Adjustment

Hi @kimmmurray2381 

Maybe a strip  of  peel and stick on  foam will solve your problem.?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to control speed on Ryobi door closer?

Hello @kimmmurray2381 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your Ryobi door closer.

The Ryobi 1200 series have two speed control ranges. Those ranges are classified into two stages of the 1st speed range which controls overall door closing speed and the 2nd speed range which controls latching speed. Those speeds can be adjusted by respectively independent speed adjustment valves.

this means that you'll need to adjust two things on your door closer. First is the closing speed which you've got tight, the second speed which is that quick acceleration at the end is the latching speed. You can adjust this so that it is slow as well. 

Here is a link to the specification and adjustment brochure: Ryobi overheard door closer.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I have adjusted both adjusters and still find that no matter what setting I have the latching speed on it still slams shut. Do you think that this could be because my door may not be heavy enough? It is a solid core door with a smallish glass panel, not sure how much it would weigh.

Thanks

Hi @kimmmurray2381 

Maybe  the unit is defective is one of the last possibilities.

Hello @kimmmurray2381 

I suggest doing a little experiment, I propose changing the closing speed to fast and set the latching speed to its slowest setting and see if anything happens. Your objective is to search for that sweet spot where the closing speed and the latching speed are both slow.  

But if after several tries and it still won't behave. It's possible that the cylinder has finally failed. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects