Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut and attach fly screen frames?

asto300
Just Starting Out

How to cut and attach fly screen frames?

Hi all, 

I'm looking at making some custom flyscreens to go on the windows in my apartment (i rent here so ideally minimal impact).

I've bought quite a few materials to start the project but wondering if there's a power tool that could replace the hand hacksaw I bought for cutting the aluminium?

I'm also after some general advice about rental-safe options for attaching flyscreens, we have very odd windows that open outwards from the side, so I think they will have to be screens that are installed each time the window is open and then moved each time the window is closed again, 

I look forward to your ideas!

Thanks

Aston

Baggs
Having an Impact

Re: Best tools + advice for Fly Screen DIY

Hi Aston,

Other then buying a drop saw and blade to suit aluminum there is no other real option.

You could try going to a window manufacture and asking them to cut it for you. 

The easiest way to fix the screens would be turn buttons and screws but that's not ideal for rental.

You could try some adhesive velcro strips?

Cheers

Kyle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cut and attached fly screen frames?

Hello @asto300 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about cutting fly screen frames.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Baggs. I definitely agree with the suggestions made. A drop saw would be adequate, but a grinder would produce uneven cuts. I'm sure you're aware that when cutting angles for a frame they have to be straight and accurate.

In regards to clipping the flyscreen temporarily, I also suggest having a look at using Magnets in the corners to hold the flyscreen in place. You can put in some steel screws in the corners so that they are not too obvious but enough for the magnets to clip onto.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects