Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you plug a 10 Amp device into a 15 Amp socket?

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Can you plug a 10 Amp device into a 15 Amp socket?

Do ready made adapter allowing you to plug a 10amp cord into a 15amp socket exist? I do know in most cases a 10amp plug will work fine in a 15 amp socket but my double 15amp outlet is safety shuttered and the smaller earth pin on a 10 amp plug does not always open the shutter on the 15amp earth socket pin without some wobbling it about and therefore I suspect/worry that when I do, the earth contact is probably not as good as it could or should be. I don't want to swap the leads on the 10amp devices to a 15amp ones as that would prevent their normal use on a 10 amp outlet.  I could I guess make an adapter myself by attaching a 15amp plug to a 10amp extension lead or just making a very short lead with a 10amp socket at one end and a 15 amp plug at the other end but I would have thought there might be more elegant ready made solution around.

Perhaps it's something to do with the issue discussed here https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5800 i.e.

" .... suggests that newer 15 amp outlets (especially commercial ones) have a restrictor built in that stops 10 amp plugs being put into them direct, even though they would otherwise fit. This is to stop people using dodgy cords that they had made that are 15 amp female (to connect to van or boat) and 10 amp plug to plug in at home dodgy style. It appears that many were using these same dodgy cables at a proper 15 amp outlet so everything was 15 amp except for the plug - thereby potential for issues.

It appears that some new 15 amp outlets require the large earth pin of a 15 amp plug to release a cover that otherwise restricts the top diagonal slots."

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you plug a 10 Amp cord into a 15 Amp socket?

Hi @aussiblue 

You've hit it right on the head. Doing a homebrew connection is both dangerous and illegal. Forcing non compatible connections increases the risk of an electrical shock and electrical fire. Please use only certified fittings or adaptors when joining 15A to 10A. 

If you need to connect your caravan to your house, I suggest using Ampfibian 15A To 10A RV-Plus Caravan Power Adaptor. The weatherproof Ampfibian RV-PLUS is a dedicated 15A to 10A power adaptor for travellers. It safely and legally connects 15A caravans, RVs, motorhomes and camper trailers to 10A power points.

Please note that it is weatherproof but not to be thrown or soaked in open bodies of water. 

Let me call on our experienced members @CSParnell and @MikeTNZ for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@EricL hit it on the head,

Anything made up / modified is illegal, dangerous and can void insurance. The adaptors start at around $50 for non weather proof and go over $150 for encapsulated weather proof. They have RCD protection inline rated for the conversion.

Don't risk it.

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Eric you and the other person (CSParnell) that responded have not read my post carefully and have seemingly both misinterpreted my question completely. I definitely do not want to plug a caravan or any other 15 amp device into a 10amp socket. I want to go the other way plugging a 10amp device into a 15 amp socket. I thought, my original post's heading also emphasised this with words like "not as more commonly the other way" but if so, someone seems to have edited that out. In any event,  can you please re-read and consider my original post again with this mind. I also don't perceive any significant real safety risk with a device, if used as intended, that would better allow a 10amp plug/device being plugged into my double 15 amp outlets.  In many case I know people routinely plug 10amp devices into 15 amp sockets and there are sites all over the internet saying this is perfectly safe and OK.  To explain further I have a double 15 map outlet on one side of my workshop (similar to this https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-250v-15-amp-ip54-outdoor-double-power-point_p0347261 and installed by an electrician with two seperate fuses in the fuse box when I bought my car lift) that is are normally used to power my car lift and mig welder that both have 15 amp plugs and require 15 amp outlets.  However,  now I would also like to plug a professional 10amp tyre inflater (a Jamec Penn Digital Preset one) and a related small 10amp Woodstar CP16 wall mounted compressor into it as it would be the most convenient point in my workshop to use for inflating tyres and would negate the need for either running extension cords to my 10amp  outlets on the other side of the workshop or using overly long air hoses.

I know people have often or even routinely plug 10 amp devices into 15 amp outlets without any issues or a second thought but these shuttered 15 amp outlets create a bit of a challenge.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @aussiblue,

It sounds like you are after either an adaptor or a short converter cord that has a 15A male plug and a 10A female plug. I am unaware of a product that has those features. If you regularly use 10A devices on that circuit, you might like to have the powerpoint swapped out for one that doesn't have the shutter system. I've spoken with HPM, and their HPM 15A Double Powerpoint will accept a 10A plug. Alternatively, it might be worth installing a 10A outlet next to your 15A.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Yes, thanks Mitchell you have understood my question. My double 15 amp socket is a DETA that has a shuttered outlet that require the large earth pin of a 15 amp plug to be inserted to release a cover/shutter that otherwise stops use of the top diagonal slots. Perhaps I will have to change it over to a HPM but it raises questions about why these shuttered 15amp outlets are seemingly being phased in and if there has been a new safety issue discovered with using 10amp devices in 15 amp sockets. I wonder if it the safety shutter was simply to ensure anything plugged in was earthed and had an earth pin and the difficulty in "cleanly" plugging a 10amp plug with a smaller earth pin in was an unintended consequence.

"but it raises questions." It certainly does, @aussiblue, and I was hoping to qualify that with HPM. I've just double-checked with HPM, as it's important we get this right, and they have advised that 10A appliances can be plugged in. However, speaking with Deta, they have strongly advised that you do not force a 10A plug into their 15A socket as the shutters have been introduced to exclude 10A plugs; the reason is as follows: A circuit designed for 15A devices has suitable overload protection designed for them. It's best to run 10A devices on a circuit designed for them so the overload protection trips immediately if something goes wrong. A failing 10A device on a 15A circuit might not trip it immediately. If, for some reason, the overload is not triggered and the 10A cable or device overheats, it could be a fire risk.

So, I think the takeaway is that it's best to consult with a licensed electrician and install suitable outlets on the correct circuit for your devices.

Mitchell

Thanks again; that all makes sense and is a logical and good explanation. I think I will just move my inflater system to next to the 10amp outlets on the less convenient side of the workshop and be careful to avoid tripping over the extended air hoses when I use it  Installing additional 10 amp  sockets would be an expensive exercise for me as my existing switchboard is full so the last electrician I used said that if I wanted to add anything more it would have to be completely replaced or an additional sub- board added and, having been through that once to replace the original asbestos backed board, I know that gets to be a very expensive exercise that I cannot justify.

Oh! Could that be an excuse to rig up some type of overhead system for the air hose @aussiblue? I've seen some amazing setups in workshops where the air hose dangles in the air mid-garage with a quick connection on the end. When air is needed you just connect a short length of hose to the hanging portion.

Mitchell

Nah having air hoses (or worse power cords) running over vehicles up on the car lift isn't desirable either. What I perhaps really need, and perhaps Deta might want to consider making, is a suitable 10amp plug to 15 amp socket adapter with a built in RCD and over-current protector. Something like this but with 15amp pins perhaps https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-single-outlet-safety-switch_p7050029

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects