Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a shoe stand?

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

How to build a shoe stand?

Hello!

I need to create some kind of shoe holder to sort out the space at the bottom of our internal stairs. With two teenagers - one with a shoe obsession - things frequently get out of hand, as can be seen in the photo (there are more shoes out of the shot). On the left is the door leading to our garage; we have an over-the-door hanging shoe holder on it but the plastic pockets are flimsy, and there aren't enough of them anyway.

IMG_4380.jpg

I'm thinking of putting up something more permanent in the narrow space to the left of the other door (see photo) , which leads outside. Its dimensions are 2400 high by 440 wide. Both of the doors open inwards so I can't have anything that sticks out much (like flat shelves). I'm thinking either shelves sloping down towards the brickwork or hooks/rods that the shoes can hang on.

IMG_4381.jpg

Any ideas/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Mel

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a shoe stand?

Sorry for the slow reply. It's obviously a tough one @MelC1 as you don't have much space to work with given the doors open inwards.

Let me tag our wonderful resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his ideas, as well as some other clever members like @JoeAzza@prettyliving and @Tara86.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Jason 🙂

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MelC1

Either you have a big family or they just like shoes😀

I was thinking of the peg board idea or a board with narrow shelves deep enough to support the shoes. When my grandson lived with me for a few years, I had the same problem , all his shoes ended up near the back door, so  I added  shelves to hold a certain number of shoes, one shelf for him and one for me, if the shoes didn’t fit into his allocated shelf, the extra shoes had to stay in his room, I had to follow the same rule, believe it or not this worked.

Anyway here is a photo of a peg board wall shelfI found on the internet.

IMG_3043.jpeg

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @JoeAzza , I quite like the peg board idea but I'd want each set of pegs to hold a pair of shoes, not just one, to maximise the number of pairs coming off the floor. And that means they'd probably come out too far from the wall. I'm trying to keep the storage depth to a minimum. I also like the rule that anything not fitting into the storage has to go in bedrooms. That one is definitely going to be adopted!

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MelC1 

What are the dimensions between the wall and the door frames on both sides? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MelC1,

Would it be more practical to build the child with the shoe obsession an amazing shoe rack in their bedroom so they can shift all the excess that likely isn't being used every day back to their room?  That way, the family could have the shoes they use regularly conveniently located at the door area.

We have heaps of shoe storage racks that they could use to display their collections in their room. Alternatively, you could utilise another hanging shoe storage unit like the Flexi Storage Wardrobe Ash 16 Pocket Hanging Organiser in the hall or their room.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Hi @prettyliving. There's no space between the wall and the door into the garage (on the left); the space between the wall and the door on the right is 440ml. Or did you mean something else?

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @MitchellMc , maybe we'll end up doing that (there are a lot of shoes!). I'd still like to have some wall storage, to keep the floor clear. Then I could put down some nice flooring :smile:

I'll have a look at Bunnings's shoe storage racks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects