Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to avoid wasting paint?

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How to avoid wasting paint?

How to avoid paint wastage.jpg

A can of paint can go a long way, but how do we make the most of every drop and avoid wastage?

It'll be great to hear any tips you may have on stretching painting budgets and minimising leftovers. 

I loved the following tips from experienced renovator @NatashaD in this year's March issue of the Bunnings Magazine:

“When decanting paint into a tray, replace the original lid with a plastic pourer lid to help prevent drips,” she suggests. “These handy, solvent-resistant lids stop paint gathering around the lip where it dries out and can cause rust. Simply recap to store and preserve the paint.”

Feel free to share any additional tips below. Tagging @lifestylebymari@EleventhCoastal and @homeinmelbourne for their thoughts.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to avoid wasting paint?

I really like @VivMartin's tip shared just a few weeks ago on our very long running discussion Your best painting tips:

"Use strips of aluminium foil and work it around the lip of a new tin before wiping the brush and filling the lip.  When you are finished peel the strip off the tin and dispose of it.  You will have a clean lip on the tin and ensure a perfect seal like new."

Let me also tag experienced painter @Simon to see if he has any tips to add to the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NatashaD
Growing in Experience

Thanks for sharing! I have these lids in different sizes and simply wash them out to reuse when the tin is empty. Easy-pour lids help keep paint for longer.Easy-pour lids help keep paint for longer.

Simon
Having an Impact

@Jason I always keep a clean paint brush and rag handy when pouring paint from the tin into a tray.

Any excess paint along the top of the tin is soaked up straight away, and excess paint brushed off the sides of the outside of the tin.

I'm a bit pedantic for being able to close paint tin lids properly when I'm finished 🙃

I've never tried the plastic lid pourer attachment. But it's great in theory.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-4l-paint-pourer_p1670177

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects