Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach legs to a live edge table?

emilydg
Finding My Feet

How to attach legs to a live edge table?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

Hello

I was hoping someone may be able to advise me. I have made a live edge table and have some steel legs to attach. Does anyone know if I can directly screw these onto the wood ? Or would it require a frame ? I’ve attached some photos and be grateful for any advice. The wood is 180cm X 50cm X 4cm. Legs are around 102cmx36x 5cm . Thanks !

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to attach legs to a live edge table

Hi @emilydg 

Nice  bit of timber you have there

If you wanted to be extra carfull to not split the wood you will need to mark with a  texta the timber from underneath where the leg mounting holes will go.

Then pre drill a smaller pilot hole hole (1/2 diameter of screw as a guide)  only drill 20mm deep or less for a 20mm screw.

I would only use a 20mm wood screws

This will gently mount the wood to the  legs.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach legs to a live edge table?

Hello @emilydg 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about attaching legs to your table.

That's excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Drilling pilot holes will prevent the wood from splitting and makes it easier to mount the screws on the timber benchtop. If your worried about the length of the screw, I suggest placing the screw you are about to use on the side profile of the tabletop. This will give you an indication of how deep the screw will penetrate into the timber panel.

I also suggest positioning the legs on the tabletop to give you an idea of where they will permanently stay. I recommend doing a test fit to make sure that the legs are not too close to each other or too far apart. Once you've decided where to put them, make sure to mark the screw holes with a pencil. Remember not to drill too deep or it will come out the other side.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @emilydg,

Just checking in to see how your table build is progressing. I trust you found the advice received helpful. Please don't hesitate to post again if you need additional help. We'd also love to see the completed table when you finish.

Thanks,

Jason

 Hi everyone 

thank you so much for all your helpful suggestions ! It’s very much appreciated and I took them on board! Here is the final table :smile: 

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @emilydg 

Thank you so much for sharing that update on your live edge table project. It looks fantastic, the gold colour of the legs really enhances the finish of the panel. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects