Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

@RJsPlace 

Grid Connect Outdoor Pan & Tilt Security Camera with Spotlight offline after no power or WiFi

After installing the Grid Connect Outdoor Pan & Tilt Security Camera with Spotlight, my first Grid Connect product, it does not automatically reconnect to the WiFi Router after either or both a power outage and restarting of the router.

I came across this issue after testing both power and no WiFi in the event I was away from home. I did three duration tests of 10 seconds, 1 minute and 5 minutes. 

Each time, the camera needed to be removed from the Grid Connect App, reset the camera and reinstall it back in the App. Once installed each time, it works flawlessly for long periods.

The Router is a D-Link DWR-921 2GHz band only, with up-to-date firmware, and located within 7 metres from the camera and passes through one standard wall and has a typical WiFi signal strength of 70%. The Router can manage up to 14 devices, of which only 9 devices are always connected. All of these devices automatically reconnect. The Router name used during setup is correct and no password is used.

This camera has every feature I like and need, but just a shame it has this one problem.

Information from Grid Connect says the camera should automatically reconnect. I am considering temporarily connecting a LAN cable to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise, I am seeking any assistance or guidance to resolve the issue. "

Just a thought you have said you don't need a password to connect to the wifi device I'm wondering 2 things.

1. If the camera is looking for a.

Name - WiFi name & Password - something and not 'null', can you issue a password to the router to test.

2. If you can connect using the wifi routers SSID instead of the router name, found on the bottom of the wifi device.

Sometimes programing has errors and it is overlooked that it needs to use the same credential pathway as standard login for on event of fail. 

Worth a try anyways.

RJsPlace
Building a Reputation

@CSParnell @EricL @MitchellMc @Jason @GreenHouse 

@CSParnell you were correct that the router needs to have a password and that the camera is looking for one. 

I followed up your thought on some Grid Connect and IP camera forums, and that was the answer.

So I tested power and internet outages and the camera reconnects.

I want to say thank you to the Bunnings Team here for your ongoing prompt support with suggestions and thoughts. I also thanked Arlec Tech for their ongoing support.

Cheers.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@RJsPlace Good result.

HTTP / TCP protocol can be fidly at the best of times and then you throw Auth into it and yeah things can get messy. 

Any other questions ask away

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @RJsPlace 

I'm glad you've managed to find the solution to the camera not connecting back to the router. If you have any other projects on the go, please remember to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you're working on.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
davejonesau
Finding My Feet

Hi all. 

Sorry. Odd format for a forum so not sure if this should be a reply or a new post. 

I’ve automate a number of devices at a remote club on off grid power. Very impressed so far. 

Does anyone know where I can find out what changes to icons in the app mean?

Eg see freezer. What’s the change to the 2 & the raindrop mean? It’s just the simple Arlec switch block. 

Dave

IMG_9036.jpeg

IMG_9035.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. I’m sure other members would be keen to learn about any of your interesting innovations.

Not sure about ‘2 and the raindrop’ Deta icon. I think the three bars in the Arlec icon are meant to indicate the device and app are able to record/graph current and power use.

The icons are chosen by the different manufacturers to help the user identify and differentiate between the various devices in use.  Apart from that, they have no other function.

The Grid Connect App gets updated from time to time and I assume it is possible they may change the icons to make them look ‘fancy’ 😁.

However, any change to an icon's appearance won’t affect the functionality of the device.

As you may know, you can upload your own icon picture to use instead. You can take a photo of the device or item being controlled etc or upload a suitable clip art image.

(Click on the required icon, click the 3 horizontal bars, click the pencil icon and then click the ‘Icon’ option etc.)

This may help you more easily identify a particular device. I’ve done both - taken photos of the device and used a nice clip art image. Looks great without changing the functionality of the device.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @davejonesau. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Grid Connect iconography.

It's great to see that one of our knowledgeable members, @GreenHouse, has provided an answer. Let me also mention @CSParnell to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@davejonesau 

The 2 rain drop all I can think is a dual IP rated ? As in water proof?

As you can see below from a fraction of mine different devices will bring their own icons and then you can add your own.

As @GreenHouse mentions the 3 bars are for energy graph devices.

1000009578.jpg

1000009580.jpg

1000009582.jpg

  

You are best to set your devices up with unique icons eg smart lamps with a picture of the smart bulb, smart downlights an image of the downlight and so on. I've refreshed mine a few times hence mine are only half done, I've gotten to the point finally after a few years I'm pretty much set and forget unless I get a internet outage or power outage then I have to reset some devices. 

Thanks for replying @CSParnell. However both those pics are for the same device which is an Arlec plug in. 

I thought the Arlec & DETA changing were just advertising. But as for the icon those pics were taken only a few minutes apart of the same device. 

its either a glitch in the app or the change means something. Bit odd. 

Dave

Also - how long should the in line switch hold its network setting for if powered off at the supply. Seems odd that you’d have to reconnect the device to the app if it’s unplugged. 

This one is over a BBQ switching on/off a small floodlight. It’s at the end of a pair of lights, powered when the outdoor lights are on.

Won’t reconnect after being off for a few days. 

Dave

IMG_9089.jpeg

IMG_9090.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects