Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water stain on manhole cover?

sydney0
Finding My Feet

How to fix water stain on manhole cover?

I had a broken tile on the roof (right above manhole) and as a result, there was some water leakage through manhole during one of the rainy days recently. We fixed the tile on the next day. However, due to the dripping water, paint on the manhole lid area has been affected (see attached). We did a couple of coats of matching white paint (water based flat white that's used for ceiling touch ups usually) but it is not able to hide those stains. We didn't apply sandpaper as we aren't good at painting and didn't want to spoil it further. What do you recommend? Will any other (better quality or different) paint fix the issue or more coatings of the same flat white ceiling paint will do? Thanks!

0FwdCNU1dH.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Question related to paint

Hello @sydney0 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your ceilings paint. Can you please confirm that roof tile has been repaired and that no more water is coming into your ceiling cavity? If it has been repaired, it's possible that water has stained the edge of your ceiling's manhole.

In order to repair it, you've got to make sure that the manhole cover and frame are totally dry. If you are sure that the sides and cover are totally dry, I suggest sanding the water marks on the cover and the frame. Watermarks are sometimes visible even when you paint over it so it must be sanded down. 

Once the surface is nice and clean, I propose using  Taubmans 1L White Flat Easycoat Ceiling Paint to touch up the damage on your manhole cover and frame. It might take more than two coats to cover the water damage.

If you are using a ladder, please have a look at this guide - How to use ladders safely by @Adam_W.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Question related to paint

Hi @sydney0 

If  @EricL  suggestion   dosnt block the water  stain after  a couple of coats,  

you may need to use an undercoat stain blocker,  Like Zinsser  cover stain products.   

Its  not the water but the dirt and stains it picks up and soaks into the gyprock coming through.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects