Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Hi experts,

There is a security lock at the bottom of these double door and it will not unlock with the key.

There is nothing showing on the other side of the door, and no space underneath the door (1-2mm).

How do I unlock it? I can't see anything in the small hole. The key turns and makes clicking sounds but it does not unlock.

Any help appreciated! Thank you.IMG-3321.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Double door security bolt won't unlock with key

Hi @Coco_M 

Please keep us updated with your progress, if you run into any difficulties with the cutting tool, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Sure will do! thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Success!!! 😀

@EricL @JoeAzza @Noyade @MitchellMc @TedBear 

Thanks for advice and support Everyone! 

The little saw did the job (together with my arm, gloves and goggles).

IMG-3366.JPG

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I think you've done exceeding well with a hacksaw blade in such an awkward position, @Coco_M

Congrats! 👍

Even the cross-section of a 3" nail can prove difficult.

For what it's worth and should something like this happen again, I can recommend two other styles of mini-hacksaws that can be kinder on the hands and patience.

The BOA is difficult to explain in words - but it has a spring loaded arm that is in constant contact with the work and the blade is therefore unlikely to bend or snap.

The Sandvik uses a thicker and wider blade that just feels better - and you can add more force to the cut.

Cheers!

20230216_164850.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coco_M 

That's fantastic news, I'm glad you got the locking bolt cut and the door open. Should you decide to get a new security bolt, please make sure to bring the old one with you so that you can compare sizes at the store. The other option of course is to install a Lockwood White Patio Door Bolt which can be easily installed on the surface of the door.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL ,

I would replace it but I still can't remove it. The screws are under the door.

I don't think I can fit the other one type either at the bottom of the door because I have tiles on the floor.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coco_M,

Another suggestion for removing those hinges is to check to see if there is a hole at the bottom of the hinge, right in the middle of that cap. If there's a hole, place a long nail or screw into it and hit it with a hammer. This punches the hinge pin out the top.

That bottom section is likely a cap if there is no hole. Apply some painter's tape to it to help prevent damage and attach a set of vise-grips. Tap the vise-grips downwards with a hammer to dislodge the cap. You'll then be able to push out the hinge pin.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I think that's too hard for me though (no pin visible and 3 hinges). Since there is still a working lock at the top and a security door behind, I am no too worried.

I only open this side of the door when we have a delivery once a year or so!

I am actually thinking that maybe some kind of screwed in bracket to secure the bottom of the door to avoid draughts...?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Would a small flat plate screwed into the bottom timber work @Coco_M? Or, would it need a little offset to clear the weatherstripping?

Mitchell

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Coco_M hi, if the door can now be opened, you should be able to see the hinge mounting screws, all you need to do is undo one side of the door hinges, (have someone help you to steady the door whilst undoing the hinge screws, then place the door on an elevated surface/table, this will allow you to remove the old lock mounting screws at the bottom of the door, then replace it with a new one from Bunnings, currently on special at Bunnings, I saw them there yesterday, approx $18.00.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects