Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix single hung windows that don't open?

Quachy
Getting Established

How to fix single hung windows that don't open?

Hi,

I have 3xsingle hung windows that won't stay up (open). The window will open- my guess is that the weights aren't attached to the drawstrings.

1) what do you think is preventing it from staying up (open)

2) are there some sort of 'stop/hold clips' I can buy to use as a stopper, this way I don't have to figure out how to solve the drawstring/weight mechanism

When I go on youtube the videos seem to be made in the US, their window frames it seems you can take off the timber side which then let's you see the drawstrings and weights inside. I can't see these screws/nails anywhere on the side for my windows.

Question: Any ideas what I need to do to see the drawstrings and weight mechanism. I guess then I could fix the mechanism if there's no easier fix? 

This photo below shows the sliding part of the window 

window.jpg

This photo here below shows that the sliding part of the window is propped up by these timber sides which are about 2cm in width. Do I need to pry these side planks open to get to the internal weight/drawstring mechanism? If so is it nails holding it in place? and so I would need a flat screw driver to make a wedge and hammer away until it becomes dettached to the larger plank of timber

frame.jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix single hung windows that don't open?

Hi @Quachy 

Repairing windows with counterweight sash mechanism is supposed to be straight forward. However, the issue is that the builder has installed it with a lot of timber moulding which you'll have to remove and repair when you reinstall the entire window. What was supposed to be an easy repair job has multiplied into a full-blown removal and installation project.

I propose looking at the Whitco White CYL4 Mini Bolt Lock as a possible locking mechanism for your sliding window. It can be installed horizontally, and the holding point can simply be drilled into the side frame of the window. I've placed a sketch below to give you an idea of how it can be installed on your current window. Just keep in mind that the lock must be high enough so that it does not interfere with the window's natural operation.

Please make sure to double-check your measurements and to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when drilling into the timber frame.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects