Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why does my Sir Walter Buffalo grass turf have brown patches?

vish9
Getting Established

Why does my Sir Walter Buffalo grass turf have brown patches?

Hi Bunnings Team and wonderful community,

I have installed the Bunnings sir Walter’s buffalo grass turf couple of days ago. Some of the grass turfs were green however some were brown at the time of purchase.

the roots of the brown grass are white and not able to easily tear however I am concerned whether I have purchased dead turf patches. Please advise if the grass would be green in couple of weeks and does Bunnings sell brown patched buffalo turfs (which might be expected and normal)?.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Quality of bunnings buffalo grass

Hi @vish9

Those  rolls  look dried out in the middle but if you notice where the water is getting between the rolls on the down hill side It greening up nicly already and will spread to the middle just keep up the water  up to your lawn maybe before and after work watering sessions until the roots establish themselves into the surrounding ground. Right now the roots only have the soil they came with in the roll itself and that is tough at this  time of year but the rains will help alot. Some times top dressing the rolls with organic rich soil will help speed up root developement through capturing water more evenly and stops the rolls dryng out as  quick.

I can see your lawn lush by the end of summer.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @vish9. It's great to have you join us.

I am so sorry to hear you've experienced an issue with your Sir Walter Buffalo.

If these turf rolls were purchased two days ago and looked similar to how they do now, that is not the quality of product we aim to sell. The rolls should be fully green with little to no brown patches on them. I'll reach out via private message to get further details and help resolve this issue with the store of purchase.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vish9
Getting Established

Thanks a lot @MitchellMc - it was purchased from Atona Bunnings. I am a bit concerned now as I have spent a lot of effort on this DIY. I appreciate your response, please guide me what should be my next steps.

vish9
Getting Established

The attached pic is taken at 4th Jan when I purchased and installed the grass turf.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @vish9,

Tom, the Lifestyles Coordinator at Bunnings Altona, will reach out shortly to assist you with this issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vish9
Getting Established

Thanks @MitchellMc - can you please advise how Tom would connect with me?. Do you want me to call Altona Bunnings?

Good point @MitchellMc 

One point to note for all who purchase turf is that it should be used asap after you pick it up. If you let it sit for too long, in particular in hot weather after you pick it up it can cause burning like this. 

Not saying that this is what has happened here but just a warning for others. 

Good luck @vish9 

vish9
Getting Established

Thanks @robchin - I laid the turf exactly on the same day when I purchased it (4th Jan).

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Good to know @vish9 

I'm sure that @MitchellMc  is following this up for you. 

Good luck.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects