Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend pergola metal roof sheet?

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

How to extend pergola metal roof sheet?

Hi guys,  I am a newbie here. Looking for some ideas and suggestions to extend the roof of my pergola to prevent water entering during rainy seasons. Do I really need to extend the metal roof or is there any alternative permanent solution for the same.

Attached photos of the pergola 

Thanks for the help folks 

1000042144.jpg

1000042143.jpg

1000042141.jpg

1000042140.jpg

  

1000042142.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to extend pergola metal roof sheet?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @samuelvk. Great to see you jump in and ask plenty of questions. Looks like you're going to be busy in the weekends ahead!

Let me tag some helpful members for you to see if they could share their thoughts on how they would tackle this problem: @Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue@TedBear.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to help as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay but it's a busy time at the moment with lots of members taking advantage of holidays to tackle new projects.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @samuelvk 

Rainy season is here for sure :smile: How far are you thinking of extending the roof?

With the ends of the corrugated tin, you can slip short lengths underneath it to extend it out 500mm ish, With the sides, you can see  the batten in the bottom picture. You could put in a few new longer ones(next to the existing one) that travels across say four of the beams and screw them down that way extending the side about half a width of corrugated sheet?

If you want to stop water coming in from the sides, then maybe some clear plastic blinds? Tho I like the shade cloth solution you have as it allows air to breath. Here is the type of blind I was thinking, you could roll it up for the rest of the year when not needed? Bistro Blinds 270 x 240cm 0.75mm Clear 

Id also like to say Howdy :smile: and offer a warm welcome to the Bunnings community page. There are so many different ideas and ways of doing projects you may find yourself picking this part and that part to solve yours :smile:

Dave

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @samuelvk , I think @Dave-1 s suggestion is sound, but if you don't want to deal with short lengths of corrugated metal, you maybe able to use longer lengths of flashing laid along the timbers at the end... but this depends on how much more you need to extend out to cover, since flashing is limited in width to about 100 to 150 mm.  You can get flashing with a small lip (abt 50mm) which I would place next to the batton, under the existing steel, such that it makes the flashing slope down towards the end of the roof, and the water will then run off.  But slipping some corrugated iron under the existing roof (as Dave-1 says) will likely look better, especially if you have some distance to cover.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Some sound advice has already been offered @samuelvk, and it looks like extending the roof sheeting would be the most effective option. If you don't want to deal with metal sheeting, you could always use polycarbonate, which is far lighter and easier to cut to size. 

Another option could be to install a few canopies to extend the area.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
samuelvk
Growing in Experience

Thanks alot for the response @Dave-1. It was really informative and will definitely take this idea to fix the problem. Will reach out to you if any doubts or questions. 

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the response @TedBear. I will look into this option as well and reach out to you if any doubts or questions. 

samuelvk
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc . Will check the pvc option as well.

Regards 

Samuel 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects