Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of screw and timber to start a tree house project?

Jerry1
Finding My Feet

What type of screw and timber to start a tree house project?

Hi,

I am thinking to build a tree house with my kids. With absolutely no idea what to do, so I searched up YouTube trying to learn to build. Sadly, none of these tutorials taught me what tools and materials to buy.

The first step is to attach the timber on to the tree, like the picture below. But what kind of screws and what type of timber to buy? Can someone guide me through please?

There will be a lot of questions during the entire project but seems I am already stuck at the very beginning. :smile:

Snipaste_2022-12-12_17-37-14.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What type of screw and timber to start a tree house project

Hi Jerry. @Jerry1 

Any chance of showing some photos of the trees you're hoping to harness as a tree house - in particular strong branches we could utilise?

I'm thinking pallets.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What type of screw and timber to start a tree house project?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jerry1. It's great to have you join us and we trust you'll get all manner of assistance and inspiration from our clever and creative members. 

As @Dan_M did with his treehouse project which you might like to use as inspiration, probably the best way to start your project is to share some photos like @Noyade suggested, as well as a basic plan. Safely for you and your kids is obviously really important and a good design should assist. 

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be more than happy to recommend tools and materials for you once you have a plan. 

Looking forward to seeing how your project comes together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jerry1

There is nothing like seeing the joy of your children when they see that you've built them a tree house. Is the photo you posted the actual trees that you'll be using? If not, I suggest going with @Noyade's recommendation of putting up pictures of the trees you'll be using for the build. Once we see the layout of the trees our members will then be able to make recommendations on framing possibilities and what materials to use for the house. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Hi Jerry,

Congrats on the first step of deciding to build a tree house ! :smile: There's something whimsical and appealing not not only kids - adults too about a tree house - I reckon it ignites some primal satisfaction back to our origins ! :smile:

Like others have said - some pics and a sketch plan of what you're thinking is a start. That will significantly dictate how you safely go about building - both for your kids, and also the tree/s involved. Keep in mind trees grow (expand) and if using multiple trees; they also move (sway) - attaching a treehouse by bolts to multiple trees will never stay intact - the swaying generates enough force to rip bolts & screws straight out of trunks ! and will end badly...
you need to visualise a 'floating platform' mounted on attachments to each tree to allow movement.
I binged about every episode of 'treehouse masters' - Pete Nelson is based in USA and builds amazing treehouses all over the world !. he sells hardware also for DIY'ers; but was way too expensive for me to buy/get posted to australia. But from watching his shows; you get a real good idea of the concepts and engineering principles he uses to address the challenges of tree movement & growth. should be able to find eps on foxtel I think; but lots also on Youtube, facebook, and his website.
he also has an beautiful coffee table book called 'Be in a Treehouse' by Pete Nelson which has great inspiration; and also some design ideas. My Build thread on this site applies what I learnt on his shows.
happy to help with any more questions you have, and look forward to following your build - it's very rewarding !
Good Luck :smile:

Jerry1
Finding My Feet

Thanks guys.

This is the tree I am planning working on. It is a gumtree.

There are 4 big branches which spread from 1 meter high.

Snipaste_2022-12-13_14-01-04.pngSnipaste_2022-12-13_14-02-25.png

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Hi Jerry,

Looks like an ideal & sturdy candidate ! some issues you won't have to deal with as it's a single tree; but the individual branches may still move independently, and grow over time; so attaching a solid frame between them may cause problems. I'd still look at putting individual pegs (I used high tensile M26 thread) on each branch (use a laser level or trusty length of hose with water in to get all your levels correct; and build the main platform resting on pegs like a floating platform. you could go more grandiose and have a 2nd platform where that centre trunk branches further up ! :smile:
in addition to the pegs that the platform can rest on, you can run hip braces from the outer edges back at 90o to the bottom trunk for more support on the edges. look forward to your progress :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Jerry1

Thank you for posting the picture of your tree. Now we know what it looks like, it's time to think about the shape of the tree house and how big you want to build it. I suggest drawing out a rough design of how you want the house to look. Will you be doing a four-sided or a five-sided house? Will adults be sitting in the tree house or is it just for children? I'll be sketching up a design as well and once I've finished it, I'll post it here for you to have a look at.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi @Jerry1   @EricL 

I dont  want too poop the party but will screwing into the tree kill the tree. or ?   As a kid my first treehouse was branches and big nails I an thinking that gum tree never died.

Or  is there other ways  of clamping heavy supports to the tree avaliable

Oh  and there are no  rules that say you cant use posts to the ground support  the outer corners.

Great  project  have fun.

G'day @Dan_M !

Wow! That is one impressive tree house you built sir!

Mine (circa 1996) was nothing compared to that. It was more of a platform for my three young sons so they could descend via a flying fox. I remember using braided steel wire (from a Hills Hoist?) for support from branches and a homemade ladder provided further support.

Looking back I could have been reported.

When my father saw it he was horrified.

But they tired of it quickly and it was dismantled around 2000. They survived into adulthood. 😁

Scan1185.jpg

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

"I dont want too poop the party but will screwing into the tree kill the tree. or ? "

Good question - I have seen nails, bolts, screws and wires embedded in some of my trees that have been there for over thirty years. In my case I knew once the 'thrill' of the flying fox was over, the large screws could be easily removed.

I think this is thirty years old in a Eucalyptus...

20221214_095437.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects