Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I create a bucket sieve to filter sand from plastics?

oscart
Finding My Feet

How do I create a bucket sieve to filter sand from plastics?

I’m looking to make a sieve to filter plastics from sand. I am trying to create a bucket with metal mesh on the bottom, but am unsure how to secure them together. I am thinking of using screws, but wouldn’t they have a problem holding onto to thin plastic bottom of the bucket. Thank you for any help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I create a bucket sand sieve to filtre sand from plastics.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @oscart. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a bucket sieve.

What sort of metal mesh were you planning on using? You might need to do some experimenting, but I'd suggest you start with quite a rigid bucket like the Handy Pail 20L Plastic Pail With Lid. I'd recommend cutting a timber ring to suit the size of the bottom of the bucket. You can then screw through the bottom lip of the bucket into the timber ring, sandwiching the mesh in between. I've created the below rendering for you to illustrate.

You might also like to check out the Icon Plastics 395mm Garden Sieve With Hand Grips which might be a viable alternative to your idea.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How do I create a bucket sand sieve to filtre sand from plastics.

Thank you very much, I’ll definitely use those ideas and will experiment a bit with it and will check out that already made sieve.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects