Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best tool to remove mortar from bricks for reuse with paving?

alexi
Cultivating a Following

What is the best tool to remove mortar from bricks for reuse with paving?

We have a bunch of bricks that are covered with mortar and we'd like to clean them up as much as possible to ensure smooth under bottom for paving and nice (rustic) look for some paving in our yard.

Attached are some of the yellow and red bricks we have to get through..

selection of bricks we haveselection of bricks we have

We have a commitment with Ryobi and over the weekend discovered the multi-tool 18v One+

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-one-multi-tool-r18mt3-0-tool-only_p0091015

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-multi-tool-skin-only_p6210801

Wondering if the oscillating blade would be up for the task and whether there are replacement if it gets damaged.

JacobZ95
Building a Reputation

Re: What is the best tool to remove mortar from bricks for reuse with paving

Hi @alexi,

In this situation I think the multi-tool would provide some assistance but the mortar will likely blunt the blades very quickly.

I propose using a combination of blunt force, an abrasive and a chemical cleaner.

I'd look at the Mumme 113mm Brick Bolster used in conjunction with any hammer you've got handy to deal with the bigger chunks. Striking the mortar at an angle should break the mortar leaving the brick in tact.

For the smaller bits and cleanup a combination of a good wire brush, such as Trojan 5x15 Row Brass Wire Brush, and Builders Edge 750ml Cement N Concrete Remover should do the trick.

I'm excited to see how they come up!

Jacob

Hi @alexi 

In addition to @JacobZ95   suggestions when the bricks are covered in lumps of mortar, But  as your bricks mostly clean  to further the cleaning process is  simply to rub two bricks together and this will sand 2  bricks at once or rub the  bricks on a flat concrete surface is a little easier.

To get that perfect  clean  use Hydrochloric acid ,  diluted 2 parts hydrocloric acid to 10 parts water .

Lay the bricks together with the face you want to clean face up soak them with acid water mix using a sfiff bristled   plastic  broom a couple of times until clean .  If you apply acid try leaving it on  for 10 mins to soak. do this on other concrete slab and it will get a  quick  clean too.

Saftey note  always  add acid to  water.  Never water  to acid to avoid potential eruptions.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best tool to remove mortar from bricks for reuse with paving?

Hi @alexi,

It's sensational to see two of our knowledgeable members offer great suggestions. They covered everything I would have, but I just wanted to remind you to remember your PPE, including safety glasses, face mask, acid-resistant gloves, long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear. 

Let us know how you go!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alexi
Cultivating a Following

To date, I'd been using this biggest chisel which is now admittedly dull and my hands are very sore from repeated paving (I work in IT and my hands are not conditioned for this). The Brick Bolster looks like a machine of a tool which would make light work and might actually help me halve some bricks which I've been fumbling with.

I'm not _too_ keen on going for chemical, but mixed with a wire brush (which I have) and getting MOST of the mortar off will be fine. 

ChiselSet.jpg

alexi
Cultivating a Following

Thanks so much for the ingenious idea of a rub together.. Working smarter.. for the small blobs I was just tapping by hand with my chisel set which would get most of it off.. I'm scared of the chemicals, but getting most off is good enough for me.

Now I need to come to understand how to re-sharpen my chisel set. it's notably dull after repeated (and mis-use).

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alexi,

Typically, chisels would be sharpened on a bench grinder. Those masonry chisels are made from very hard steel, so it would be difficult to sharpen them by hand. Just so you know, Craftright is a very budget-friendly brand, and the quality of steel used in them might not be of a premium. You might like to invest in something like a Kango 57mm Masonry Chisel with Hand Protector, which will far exceed the quality of that kit. It also comes with a handy hand guard to help minimise injury from miss-strikes.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @alexi 

I use a cold chisel and hammer and thats about all you need. I wear goves as when you get tired you may "mis-hit" the chisel. A cold chisel is stronger then the ones you have shown, thinkmine was around the $20mark Mumme 200 x 20mm Cold Chisel 

No need for chemicals, tho need saftey specs for sure :smile: 

I was surprised at how easy the mortar came off, tho I do need to practice when chiseling bricks/pavers in half :smile:

Dave

alexi
Cultivating a Following

Hmm. Admittedly, mine are budget versions, now I'm not sure whether I'm best placed to get a Masonry Chisel as you've suggested, a better 'cold chisel' (as @Dave-1 has suggested) or the brick bolster (suggested by @JacobZ95 )

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@alexi 

Believe me after I had belted my hand and started wearing gloves a brick bolster was on my wishlist :smile: I had a cold chisel and it worked a treat so couldnt justify a new tool was my way of thinking.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects