Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sand and stain the deck?

roger11
Getting Established

How to sand and stain the deck?

Sand and Stain the deck, pictures attached per below - can you please help me with the tools required to get this done.pic1.jfif

roger11
Getting Established

Re: Sand and Stain the deck

also is it best to sand and stain or just paint, looking for some advise here, TIA

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to sand and stain the deck?

Hi @roger11,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's wonderful to have you join the community, and I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members.

Your deck is obviously unevenly weathered, so if you simply applied oil or stain to it in this condition, it would result in a very uneven appearance. You are correct that the best approach is to sand it first so you get back to the raw timber and have a surface that looks uniform. It appears to be a relatively small area, so a few sessions with a handheld sander should be sufficient. For a much larger deck like in the case of my own deck renewal project, I'd be recommending hiring something larger.  

Please let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great advice there from @Jason, @roger11.

Regarding your question on painting versus oiling, that's really up to your preference. With a little elbow grease, you'll be able to restore your deck. A yearly application of oil will keep it nourished, and that will only take 5 minutes. In my opinion, your lovely hardwood timber is best showcased with oil instead of covering it with paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks Jason and Mitchell. Am a bit new to this...can you please tell me what are the tools that I need to buy to get this job completed ? 

I need help with the Sanding tools and then oil...I do have a 4 litre wet look decking oil (feast watson)

So I need to sand first and then apply this oil...correct ?

Just need help with sanding tools, if you could let me know, that would be great...TIA ?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, you need to sand back to bare timber before oiling.

Do you currently own any type of sander @roger11?

Jason

roger11
Getting Established

Thanks Jason for coming back quickly on this.

No mate- I don't own any sander, hence looking for suggestions, thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

All good @roger11.

Bunnings has a guide How to choose a sander. For this job, I'd be recommending a random orbital sander. 

Most people these days prefer cordless tools, and the battery is a significant part of the purchase price, so it makes sense to stick to the one "family" of tools that can share batteries. Do you have any cordless tools at the moment?

Jason

roger11
Getting Established

Thanks mate...yes - I do have a cordless drill kit....will go with your recommendation of Orbital sander, appreciate all your help !

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects