Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it safe to eat produce from a pot with mushrooms growing in it?

miriamkirk
Just Starting Out

Is it safe to eat produce from a pot with mushrooms growing in it?

I’ve been growing rocket and herbs in pots outside in Bunnings potting g mix. Two pots have started growing mushrooms. I keep pulling them out and some more pop up. Is it safe to eat the contents of the pot where mushrooms have been growing? 

IMG_4514.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is it safe to eat produce from a pot with mushrooms growing in it?

Welcome to the community @miriamkirk. We're really pleased to see you join Bunnings Workshop and jump into the discussions. 

Let me tag a couple of very experienced members for their thoughts on your question: @robchin and@Noelle.

Do you know what specific potting mix product you have been using?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is it safe to eat produce from a pot with mushrooms growing in it?

Hi @miriamkirk 

Potting mixes are made from composted ingredients. The process of composting is natural and performed by various soil-borne micro organisms and mmicroflora, including a range of fungi. These fungi are decayers of dead organic material and occur in all soils and composts made from plant materials.

They are generally quite harmless and do not poison the potting mix or emit any toxic substances. It is quite safe to eat produce grown in mixes that have developed fungal fruiting bodies. They don't look very pretty but they are part of the natural range of organisms found in organic materials including compost.

They generally don't produce fruiting bodies (mushrooms) unless they present in large numbers, weather conditions are conducive to the growth of fungi (warm and humid) or the potting mix is particularly moist. To control them, make sure the pot has good air circulation, and allow the top 10 cm or so of mix to dry out between waterings.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects