Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas for your next barbecue

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

Ideas for your next barbecue

Hey all - what is everyone cooking up this weekend? I'm thinking it's ribs, probably pork, although lamb ribs are pretty on point to smoke at the moment.

What's on your grill or smoker?

Workshop_Ben-Shute_Moonshine-BBQ_JOW-160914-8214.jpg

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: What's everyone cooking this weekend?

The last minute, Sunday supermarket hot chicken find was a disaster, it was tough, dry, & the flavour tainted by it being incinerated, verging on cremated, but I pretty much rescued some today.

I removed the skin, then torn off some chunks of breast meat (thinking that if I can make that edible, then the rest will be a breeze), put it into a Grab-It, auto reheated it in the microwave for longer than normal (I always intervene), kept the lid on it afterward to steam it, then kept it simple by adding only salt & pepper.

Not perfect, but not bad either, I'll get another meal out of it tomorrow, so I'm chuffed that Tania didn't bin it.

I figure that if I can rest my shoulder & back for a few more days, I've got a good chance of raiding the supermarket skip again, but this time on a weekday. :crazy:

I've still got work to do on rescuing the super heated, super crispy critter wings. My first impression was that I was eating burnt matches, that'd been kiln-glazed for a shattering experience.

All suggestions welcome. :cheeky:

Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I went to an American's Thanksgiving dinner, the question for me would be; what didn't we cook? LOL

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That brisket you cooked on the weekend looked mighty tasty @MoonshineBen. How did you do it?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @Jason, I was pretty happy with it. 

IMG_9824.JPGIt was a 4kg piece, about 3.5 once I had trimmed it of fat. I gave it a rub down in some of the Moonshine BBQ beefi rub, and then did it for about 10 hours over a mixture of apple and mesquite. Gave it a little drizzle with some apple cider vinegar as well about halfway through.

The temerpature hit the stall at about the 8 hour mark, so I seperated the point from the flat and wrapped them to push through. 

Turned out pretty good (although probably rested for a little bit long), and I also made a few burnt ends that were out of this world. 

IMG_9832.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

I used about 500g of it to also make a brisket chilli, which was awesome.

IMG_9859.JPG

IMG_9877.JPG

Wow. Looks amazing @MoonshineBen. Great work and many thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will make many Workshop members hungry.

Jason

Beef ribs for sure this wknd (Xmas eve) followed by a mega feast on Sunday of BBQ meats, prawns, glazed ham, salads, pavlova, and I'm sure there's more :smile: CAN'T WAIT!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Make sure you get some photos @ProjectPete!

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Best thing we cooked over the festive season was barbecued prawns which were used for soft-shell tacos as part of a new year's eve Mexican feast. So delicious. 

Jason

I just had this little jar of awesome arrive - the perfect finisher over smoked meat, this time infused with whiskeyIMG_0262.JPG

Cooked some great burgers on the barbie yesterday. Had them on some brioche rolls with pickles and American cheese. Delicious!

What did everyone else cook on the weekend?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects