Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure ply to caravan metal frame?

Olivecaravan24
Getting Established

How to secure ply to caravan metal frame?

I want to use 3mm ply to line interior walls of 1960s caravan as it will bend in the curves.The frame is a metal angle and the roof is timber framed. I'm a novice so what do I use to secure ply to frame?I have used poly Styrofoam for insulation which sits flush behind angle.

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Re: caravan reno

Hi @Olivecaravan24,

It is likely that you’d use a combination of glue and screws but without seeing what’s in the caravan it would be hard to say. 

If you could upload some photos I’d certainly be able to help out. 

Cheers,

Jacob 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Olivecaravan24. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing wall panelling in a caravan.

It's great to see one of our knowledgeable members, @JacobZ95, is already on the case. I suspect they are likely correct, and button-head metal screws could be used for the fixings. They are self-drilling, so there is no need to pre-drill the metal. As suggested, seeing some images of the space would be great. Do you know how the ply was previously installed? Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Let me mention our caravan renovation expert @twocutekelpies to see if they have any thoughts. If you haven't already, please do check out this wonderful three-part guide: How to renovate a caravan.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi @Olivecaravan24 

A great selling point for caravans is screws vs rivets in walls, screws usually indicate a timber frame, rivets indicate an aluminium/metal frame. In my renos, I follow old school methods, the ply was originally riveted to the frame, no glue, and the ceiling glued and stapled to the ceiling "battens".

3mm wet panels joiners are great for covering joins, corners etc, although not as great as they used to be since they've made them smaller and shallower, less room for error. Variety of joiners available here - https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=wall%20art%20joiner

Before installing any panelling, I use a bit of electrical tape/painters tape to locate my frame top and bottom so I know where to drill and rivet, a bit on the floor, a bit on the ceiling. Same for the ceiling, a bit either side on the wall so that I know I'm going to hit timber. Also make sure your panels join on top of frame so the join has support. 

I use a narrow crown stapler or brad nailer as well as glue to put my ceiling up, I only use the nails/staples where the overhead cupboards will hide them.  

I hate painting so I've used poly coated caravan ply, available through Special Orders from ForestOne (Decor Overlay Plywood), or if you're near The Bunker, that's where I get mine. 

Various wet panel joiners, corners, cappingVarious wet panel joiners, corners, capping   Tent poles make great propsTent poles make great props

As a side note, before you line your walls, think about adding some timber noggins to fit your overhead cupboards to, originally they were stapled/screwed in from outside before the cladding was put on, so adding noggins gives extra backing to screw the cupboard frame into.

Noggins added and blocks in celing to support edge of ceiling panelsNoggins added and blocks in celing to support edge of ceiling panels

Hope this helps. Good luck in your project and feel free to ask any questions. 😊

Shelley

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects