Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace old stairs?

KaneoS
Finding My Feet

How to replace old stairs?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what would be the best way to replace these stairs. I'm looking at just replacing the individual stairs. 

Not sure what is currently the best approach. To remove them indidivudally. 

Thanks heaps! 

1000005077.jpg

1000005076.jpg

1000005075.jpg

1000005074.jpg

1000005073.jpg

     

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace old stairs?

Hello @KaneoS 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your steps.

The replacement steps at the store are called the Willmaplex 240 x 45mm 0.9m Stair Tread H3 Treated Pine Domestic Use - 900mm. The critical part of the repair is how the old steps can be removed without having to disassemble the entire staircase. 

I propose measuring your step and see if the replacement set is compatible. Next, I suggest investigating how the old steps are anchored on to the stringer. Check the sides and see if they are screwed or nailed in. Once you are confident of how it's assembled you can then cut the old steps out and slide and anchor the new ones in.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Eric for the reply. 

Through investigating It seems that the stair has been slid in, but it's hard to see how its actually held in place. It does seem like It has some kind of residue holding it in place as well.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to remove the step in a case like this to see how its actually held in place as its quite an old stair case. 

Thanks Eric,

Kane

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KaneoS,

The stair treads are likely glued and then nailed or screwed into position through the side of the stringer. Check on the outside of the stringer for fixings. If you can't find screws, then this would probably be a case of needing to cut the tread out and then chiselling the remainder of the end of the tread out of the stringer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitch,

Thanks! I very much appreciate it. Going with what you've both said I've been seeing what to get for the job but I just had a few more questions if thats okay.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-wood-glue-ultimate-532ml_p0492213

https://www.bunnings.com.au/240-x-45mm-0-9m-stair-tread-h3-treated-pine-domestic-use-900mm_p0052940

https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-25mm-wood-chisel_p5610217

This is my list currently, but I'm wondering about what the best screws for the job would be and what drill bit to pre drill for the screws? And if you think I will need anything else to do or get before I commence the job? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KaneoS 

It believe your list is complete, I propose using Buildex 12g x 100mm 8 TPI Climacoat RapidDrive Treated Pine Screws. However, I suggest having a look at what is being used on the steps and getting the equivalent or next size up.    

My best advice is to drill pilot holes on the stringer and steps to prevent them from splitting.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your repairs.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your timber step revamp project.

Eric

Hey Eric, 

I've just removed the stair and this is what the inside of the stringer looked like, I believe it's rotten.

I do think I would have to replace the stringer as well. Do you think that's the only option?

Thanks

Kane

1000005151.jpg

1000005150.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KaneoS 

I'm sorry to hear that the rot has made its way into the stingers step slot. I was really hoping that the stringers would still be in good condition or at least repairable. I suspect that there are parts that still ok but if you have a rotten one at a critical point like somewhere in the centre it would be pointless to repair it.

I'm afraid you'll need to replace the entire set. From a long-term safety point of view, you can at least rest assured that your stair structure is new and dependable. I propose having a look at the Stringer H3 Treated Pine Suits 10 Tread as a possible replacement. 

However, I also recommend double checking the Wilmaplex Brochure to make sure you get the correct stringer height.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for the constant replies I very much appreciate all your help and recommendations.

the only thing I did notice was when I removed the other steps the stringer seem to be in good condition, its only the bottom pair  that seem to be rotten, the one in the picture.

Do you believe the whole stringer would still have to be replaced, or could this be repaired? I found these items and I was wondering if they would be helpful in the repair or I would still need to replace the whole stringer. 

The following items 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/earl-s-250ml-wood-hardener_p1585306 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/polyfilla-450g-exterior-timber-filler_p1210571

Thanks again Eric,

Kane

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @KaneoS 

There is always the possibility that it might be just surface rot and the body of the stringer is still in good condition. The timber hardener you mentioned is great for door and window frames, but it does nothing for structural support. The filler of course makes everything look neat again but offers no support as well.

If you look carefully at the bottom of the stringer, you'll notice that it is supported and anchored at the very end with a post anchor stirrup. All the weight of the stringer is at the bottom end close to the area that has rot on it. In this particular instance, I suggest speaking to a builder and asking them to have a look if the stringer is still strong enough to hold the entire stair set.

At this point, I propose being ready for the possibility that the entire set will need to be replaced. But there is always a chance the builder will say that it's just surface rot and the stringer can be repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects