Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill hollow gap along side of fence?

Deepika786
Just Starting Out

How to fill hollow gap along side of fence?

16da23e8-eb98-495e-b060-9d342140a0c1.jpeg

We have a hollow side gap along the fence by the western side of the house all way long to the length of the property. This is nearly 25 linear meter long. 
needing some advise how we can fill this up pls. 

I appreciate suggestions 

thank you

D Khurmi

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fill hollow gap along side of fence?

Hi @Deepika786,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's great to have you as part of the community.

Thanks for the photo, but can you please clarify what you are wanting to achieve? Are you referring to the retaining wall that currently has stones in it? Are you wanting to remove or replace the stones?  

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason

I am looking to fill this gap along with the fence to the level of the soil/grass.

I can’t simply fill soil as the retaining fence won’t tolerate the weight of the soil. 

thanks

Dee

JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hi @Deepika786,

The only realistic option I can see for you to "fill" this area is to move the retaining wall over flush with the fence and I don't know if this is viable as it is likely that this is important to the drainage of your lot. Anything you do here would likely affect the neighbouring property which could be a concern.

There are lightweight stones such as scoria, but even they would be putting additional weight on the fence which is not designed for this purpose.

Some medium/large potted plants could maybe be an option to add some greenery and texture without affecting the neighbouring property.

Thoughts?

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JacobZ95,

I'd agree with @JacobZ95 that adding some plants in trough planters would be best for disguising the area. 

Could you tell us more about why you'd like to fill this area? Perhaps you want the lawn area wider, maybe it's for safety so a child doesn't fall down there, or perhaps you just don't like the look of the gap. Any additional details you can provide will assist us in finding a solution.

As mentioned, in order to fill this area and widen your yard, you'd need to move the retaining wall closer to the fence. I'd imagine it has been set back that distance due to regulations within your council.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects