Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal rock gaps?

dwyerdp
Finding My Feet

How to seal rock gaps?

My son recently bought a house with a great water feature flowing into the pool. There are three water pipelines that return from the filter. the third one empties into a hole that is not sealed and the soil at the bottom absorbs the water. It does not flow. We assume it was not always like that. We need to fill the hole but try to keep it looking like all of the feature. It may need guiding rocks or stones once the hole is filled, and with what ?

four photos 

1 the pool and rockery/water feature

2 Right side where hole is.

3 The hole, and top left, the white plastic pipe for flowing water.

4 The hole

Thanks for your help

David dwyerDMD Pool 1.jpgDMD Pool 2.jpgDMD Pool 3.jpgDMD Pool 4.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Sealing rock gaps

Hi @dwyerdp 

It looks like the designer was tring to make three cascading water falls and the  third one the hole is a mini plunge pool which will made a pleasing gurgling sound.  Pools and  ponds make great white noisy that helps dispurse  city background  noises I incorperate such water falls to create different sounds for that purpose.

So  your plunge pool isnt filling and flowing? Wheres the water  going then  ummm

A super simple solution is to block /cap that outlet so no water goes out that way.

Any how it is simple to fix to try have all three water features running is   sealing the bottom if this  is all you need. This also works to seal around gaps in the rocks and  you can build up its  shape to  redirect water like rock.

I am talking water proof sealed cement.   Just mix it up to  toothpaste consistancy  and pour it in to the  hole  (after  all the leaves and gunk cleaned out.)  them smooth it out at the egdes to make a  cup shape.

Clear the leaves and stuff out of the way down stream of the cup and  add concrete to fill holes and redirect possible water flow as you desire to return water to the pond. Add cement shape it and  leave to set.

2 Big shovel  sand cement pre mixed with Bondcrete 400ml (water proofing) add water to make cement toothpaste like wear  gloves us a garden trowel to spoon it in to position.

If to wet add more cement.

Australian Builders 20kg Sand And Cement Mix Bag

I/N: 0760612

$10.07

Bondall 1L BondCrete Cement Additive 

I/N: 0961387

$24.75

Thanks for the advice, I think you missed the fact that I noted that water wasn't flowing as it was absorbed by the earth in the hole. So you are saying that the hole WAS meant to be there, and just has to be sealed so the water flows. The information on using sand, cement and bondcrete to ensure it is waterproof is the answer I was looking for.

Thanks again

David

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dwyerdp. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a water feature.

Sounds like you need to clean out that hole and fill the bottom with cement. Pop a rock on top of the cement in the bottom to hide it. Water weeps through cement but does the same with sandstone, which the entire feature is made from. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about it being entirely waterproof. However, you could use Pond seal to seal the area, but you'd need to do that the whole way down the "falls".

I think @Jewelleryrescue  is saying the larger cavity is designed to be there as a deep trough at the beginning of the falls, but the hole in the bottom of it obviously isn't. You'll just need to clean the area out and patch the bottom of it so the area holds water once again.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @dwyerdp 

I am just wondering if that hole is  part of a sand filter it seams strange it ever was  just a hole by error.

@Jewelleryrescue it just looks like a feature to me, reminiscent of those you'd find in nature. 

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell, I think we need to maybe combine both ideas to ensure we have the water flowing again, it really is a very nice waterfall and looks stunning at night.

David

Hey @Jewelleryrescue

We followed your instructions exactly as you suggested, last Sunday. Covered it with a tarp because of all the rain. Today, Saturday we tested our work, and it was perfect. Water falling into the hole, splashing then flowing down the rocks into the pool. 

You are a legend!!!!

Thanks Again

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great to hear you successfully resolved the issue, @dwyerdp!

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Your most welcome @dwyerdp 

I  am glad its running well as you  wanted  :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects