Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix hole in brick wall?

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

How to fix hole in brick wall?

The removal of an air conditioner has left this hole. I'm looking for a quick solution to patching this up. What do you think?

IMG_0670.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Hole in brick wall

Good Morning @tigerzen 

Bugger and I know that feeling too well. I had the same issue but the air con hole was on the second floor height. So when they removed it they filled it with something Possibly liquid nails :surprised: .... It kinda matches the bricks but I wouldnt call it a tidy job.

I would look around under your house for a spare brick/part of a brick. If you dont have access as its a modern house, think of where your next garden bed will be near the house (where builders bury their rubbish) and you could find some :smile:

Or keep an eye out for houses with the same bricks as yours but being built? :smile: With that hole Id be tempted to replace the whole brick by drilling with a masonry carefully around the brick nut just the mortar and then taping the brick out. There are several mortar grout type tubes in various colours you can get from Bunnings to match your mortar as well. Then it will be a matter of putting some mortar in and pushing the new replacement brick in and finishing with the mortar tube

Dave

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave for those suggestions, I think replacing the brick will take me too long and on a previous occasion I couldn't even remove the brick as the mortar was like metal. I was hoping to just patch the hole quickly and then mix some cement with some colouring agent to blend in with the bricks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tigerzen,

You can use a standard mortar to fill the hole if you wish, with oxide mixed into it to try and replicate the brick colour. You'll need a trowel to help place the mortar in the hole and smooth it off. It's likely best to do the majority of filling on the first day and then return on the second and finish filling the voids and smoothing off the surface.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitch I will explore this a little further but was hoping to do in one day if possible.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a large hole to fill, @tigerzen; therefore, any mortar placed into it will likely slump. It's typically best to fill the majority on one day and come back later to do the rest. You could attempt to fill it all in one go, but you might have difficulty with all the mixture falling back out again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects